Squaking noise from the engine on morning starts

When I start my tacoma '03 in the morning there is this chirping noise... it squeaks... I've listen carefully and its coming from one of the belts/pulleys.... what would cause this noise so early on with a car thats only 1 year old? water???

Reply to
lamer_the_bad

It may just need to be tightened. Belts will stretch with age.

Reply to
BB TACO

Reply to
Jason Monroe

You can spray some hairspray on your v-belts (one at a time) with the engine running. If this stops the squeaking, you simply have a belt that is slipping. Tighten that belt up a little or have your dealer do it if you aren't comfortable with it. Identifying the problem in this way might be a better approach than going in and tightening all the belts as overtightened belts can shorten the life of bearings.

Or, check all the belts with a belt tension gauge if you have access to one and you know what the specs for used belts should be on your application (probably somewhere in the 80-100 lb range.)

Friction increases with temperature - so, it makes sense that the slippage -- and the subsequent squeaking -- would be worse when the engine is cold.

Luther

Reply to
Luther