Squeaky Brakes

"I have an 83 Toyota 4 speed 22r truck/camper. Approximately 3000 miles ago had brakes put in. Drove cross country and they were wonderful. Last few months city driving (errands) and a couple camping trips, everything great.

Last week or so. When I go out to drive it, I get to the stop sign at the corner (about 50 yards away) and step on the brake and hear squeeking. After that 50 yard run, everything is fine, all day it never squeeks again even if I let it sit and drive it hours later, it's fine! And the brakes work fine."

I flushed them out with water-hose as suggested and no luck. I called a very reliable shop that I used before and they told me this "sounds normal".

Could that be true? Gosh in 8 years I never had this before so I am wondering why it's normal???

I suspect (my suspicious mind...haha) they don't want to do the work because it would result in a minor charge. My shop record shows usually I just get an oil change and there's not a heck of a lot of profit in that.

Thanks

Reply to
LOU

is it possible that you have brake pad warning stops (they rub to make squeal) and that it's at the point where when pads are cold it rubs alittle, but when the pad heats and expands the stops won't rub ???

Reply to
Kryptoknight

"Kryptoknight" wrote in news:7tMfb.164760$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Yes, when it warms up it stops. But rarely it does it one or two times when it is warm.

So I guess what you are saying is it is normal. Funny I drove 3000 miles on these new brakes and it never has done that. Owned the truck for 9 years and it never did that either. Maybe it's just getting old .... haha

Thanks for verifying the problem. I won't worry about it any more but it sure is loud in the morning... :)

Thanks again :)

LOU

Reply to
LOU

it is a problem... your pads may need to be replaced. those warning stops were used by GM to warn the driver that the pads need replacing. i'm not

100% that Toyota does the same, but you should check the pads and rear shoes...
Reply to
Kryptoknight