Squeeking noise in rear diff.

Here is a strange one. Truck is a '93 SR5, V6, 5speed, 4x4, 307k miles. Last week when I was backing out of a parking spot. I noticed a squeeking sound. Not a long squeek, but like a shopping cart wheel. Squeek, Squeek, Squeek. The noise is only when I put pressure on the drivetrain and I am under 5MPH. No noise when I go faster or I am coasting.

I jacked the back of the truck up and took a look. The noise is comming from the rear diff near the U-joint. I lubed all the joints and the noise did not change. All the u-joints look in good shape. No slop and after a long drive, all where only warm to the touch.

The rear diff, however, was hot. I don't think I could burn myself on it, but I didn't want to hold my hand on it for more then a few seconds. A year ago, I had the rear diff removed and inspected (with all the miles on it, I figured it was a good idea) and they guy said it looked hardly used.

No oil has been leaking out of the rear diff so I don't think it's been running dry. I plan to check soon tho.

What is this squeeking noise? What do the bearings in the diff sound like when they are going out? I am stumped as to the cause of this.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Eddie