Starting problem update

2001 Tundra V-8, 60,000 miles

The time delay between putting the key into the start position and the engine cranking is long enough that I can hear a click when the key is turned to start. Very shortly after that the starter engages and cranks.

Battery voltage at the battery is good...12.4 volts before cranking and 11 volts while cranking. The cranking is brisk when it finally cranks, and the engine starts promptly as it always has. This is the 2001 original battery, by the way.

QUESTIONS So, is there anything I can test or repair before I remove the intake manifold?

Is it most likely a defective solenoid?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I don't have that problem with my 2000 Tundra but I do with my 85 Toyota Van and have since 1999. It starts after a couple of clicks. It's caused by a bad spot (contact) on the starter. I don't drive it more than 10 miles from home so I haven't fixed it. When it finally fails to start, I'll replace it.

I could be wrong but I believe the solenoid is part of the starter, not an individual piece as it used to be.

Sounds like you have a bad spot (contact) on the starter so you might think about replacing it.

Skip

Reply to
Skip
08-21-06 10:22 Is it necessary to remove the intake to get to the starter? Sounds like you need to look at the contacts/plunger in your starter. This is easy enough after you get it in your hands. They are relatively inexpensive at a starter repair shop. Ed
Reply to
ed_herman

Yep, under the intake manifold. I'll drain the coolant and start taking things apart this morning.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton