Startup Knock

Need some advice here. I have a 2002 PreRunner (2.7L), meticulously maintained (oil and filter change every 3000). I now have about 30K miles on it. Recently (last couple of months), especially when it's cold outside, I get a hell of a startup knock lasting for almost 30 seconds. Sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the engine. Oil is extremely clean, and it's at the right level (Toyota service monkeys have overfilled me twice, once by about a quart). Should I be concerned about this, and is this a trend that anyone else has noticed with the 2.7L? Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Thorne

my 99 does it. it has done it for a while but it hasnt gotten any worse. I'm told there is nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Tbag

When I was living in Denver, I would start up my 22r on cold mornings (sometimes down to -10°F) and the engine sounded like there were a bunch of blacksmiths in the bottom tapping on anvils. This would go on for a few seconds then it would quiet down. Thing did it every cold morning for the six winters I lived there (always parked outside). I moved back to So. Cal eight years ago and it's been fairly quiet in the morning.

One morning (in Denver) I was talking to a neighbor when I started the engine. He said it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Reply to
Nunya Bidness

I was running 10w 30, if I remember right. Anyway, that's ice under the bridge now, I moved back to So. Cal. in 1996, a cold morning here might be in the middle to high 30's, but it quickly warms up into the 60's...

Need to buy some more sunscreen... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Nunya Bidness wrote:

Reply to
TOM

I purchased a '99 2.7L PerRunner during the summer and have noticed the knocking now that the temps have dropped to the 30's. Service has been maintained excellently (66k miles). I'm using 5w-30. Makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one! Joey

Reply to
Joey