Steering stops

Can anyone tell me how to locate the steering stops on a 93 4X$ ext Cab P/U. The truck is making a lot of noise when I turn the wheel too far one way or the other. What do you lube and or grease them with? Thanks alot.

Reply to
Terry

This is a plastic cover that acts as a bearing surface where the steering knuckle rubs against a bolt head on the suspension. Also known as the "Groan Stopper". If the truck is making a loud noise during a tight turn at slow speeds, such as backing out of a driveway, this is what is needed to stop the noise.

anon

If you have installed oversize tires, the noise you hear is the tires rubbing on the undercarriage. You do not lube the steering stops, youi adjusty them so the tires do not strike the frame . Turn the wheel to full stop and look to see if the tires are hitting the undercarriage. (You could simply look for worn paint under yout truck too, but you will n eed to turn the wheel full lock anyway to find the stops.)

If back of the tire is hitting, the stop you need to adjust should be on the opposite side. Look for a bolt head that bumps into a fixed suspension component -- typically there is a bolt on the steering knuckle that strikes a control arm. Adjust the bolt to strike earlier to prevent the rubbing.

Your 4X4 could be having troubles with the front axle universal joints too, but look for the easy stuff (steering stops) first. Universal joints should make a clicking noise for a while before they degenerate to a roar.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

This threads relevant to myself as well but in mycase I've been greasing the stops and it stops the noise but now I've noticed that one of the bolts is bent and looks like it's about to crack off. Looking through the search link you posted I noticed a lot of plastic caps but no bolts w/caps. Is this just a standard bolt? Is there not someone who's come up with a better system like some kind of polyurethane bushing attached to the end of a bolt? Just looking for a better solution.

Cheers,

-Andrew

DruG

Thank you very much for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. Terry

Reply to
Terry