Steering Wheel Trouble, please help

I own a 2000 Taco and love it. But the steering wheel has seemed to come "un glued". The vinyl on top of the steering wheel is real loose like maybe the adhesive that holds the foam part to the steel (if it is steel) ring. I took it to my local dealership and was told, "It will be around $1800.00 dollars for a new steering wheel and for the air bag to be repacked". I said "seems like that would be a safety concern."he cut me off and said "even though your trucks has 34000 miles on it, the warranty states 3 YEARS or 36000 miles" My reply to him was "like I was going to say it seems like this could be a safety concern and hopefully your wife and children aren't in my way if I loose control of my truck due to this defect." End of conversation!

So basically I am on my own here. Any one have any suggestion?

I was thing of getting some epoxy drawing it up in a 19-gauge needle and injecting it into the vinyl maybe it would adhere to the center.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
wilson

i have the same problem with my 98 and posted for help several years ago. someone suggested getting a hypodermic and injecting super glue under the loose section. i never tried it, i don't know where to get a needle!

i put a steering wheel cover on it and once i got used to the thickness of the thing, i like it, and don't notice the looseness much anymore.

you should be able to buy a needle at a pharmacy if you don't look like a drug addict! or perhaps you know someone who injects themself due to diabetes, allergy shots, etc.

| > So basically I am on my own here. Any one have any suggestion? | >

| > I was thing of getting some epoxy drawing it up in a 19-gauge needle and | > injecting it into the vinyl maybe it would adhere to the center. | >

| > Any help is appreciated. | >

| > TIA | >

| |

Reply to
crosem

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

I got my 99' steering wheel replaced under warranty for the same thing

Reply to
Mastiff