Strange idle problem with Tacoma 3.4L

Sorry this description is so long, hopefully someone on here can help me solve this problem with my 95.5 Tacoma 3.4L 4wd extd.

This morning on the way to work, I stopped for a red light and a fella in an older Oldsmoblile lightly bumped into me from behind. It was a small jolt, and I knew he had hit the reese hitch, so I just waved and continued on my way.

About a mile later I was going up a hill and pushed the clutch in to shift from 2nd to 3rd at about 3500 rpm. When the clutch disengaged, the engine raced up to almost 5000 rpm before returning to idle.

After work, I checked over the gas pedal, throttle cable, and throttle body to see what was binding, but everything appeared normal and free. When I started the truck up it idled at 2000 rpm, which I thought was pretty high for the 30 degree temp.

As the truck warmed up, the idle dropped slower than normal, and at full operating temp it was still at about 1250 rpm. Other than that it was running fine and responded to throttle input correctly, so I decided to get going.

When I reached the grocery store about 2 miles later it was still idling at around 1000 rpm, however when I finished my shopping and started the truck about 15 minutes later it was back down to 6-700 as usual. The 12 mile trip home it ran fine, although if I pushed the clutch in at the same time I took my foot off the gas, the rpm's climbed about 500 before dropping.

At home I shut it off and checked the oil, when I tried to restart it, twice it fired and came up to 500 rpm before stalling. The third try it wouldn't start until I gave it about 1/4 throttle, then it started and revved to 3000 rpm. I let off the gas and it idled normally at 6-700.

Since all my symptoms involve no load, no throttle engine speed, I believe I have a problem with whatever controls the idle speed. Can anyone suggest what to look at first? There are no idiot lights on while it's running.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Mike

Reply to
Rowdy

hm... you might want to check your water level,,, strange idles happen when water levels are low.. you might have a leaky head gasket,, my toy revs furiously back and forth when the water is low in the radior....just a thought...from a girl no less :-)

Reply to
toy4ever

I have no problem in taking advice from a girl! Of course, that usually involves where I should go! LOL!

I checked the water level in the radiator and it's right where it should be. I'm thinking possible the water temperature semsor is at fault. I'll start checking things Saturday when I have some time.

Reply to
Rowdy