Strut replacement

My 2002 Toyota Highlander has 98,000 miles and I was told I need to change the front struts. The Toyota dealer said the noise in the right front side is due to bad struts.

I have 2 questions.

  1. How much of a problem for me to change the stuts. Toyota dealer wants 00 to replace both shocks and mounts. I have done shocks before and I have a spring compressor tool.

  1. Do I need to change the strut mounts?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Reply to
nobody

I do not know what parts you may need, but if you have a sprinjg comprssor and it fits and you know how to use it, then I can't think of any particular problems. You might need a second vehicle to make a parts run, but if you have that covered, you should be okay.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The previous post is exactly correct. Sometimes a spring compressor especially designed for struts is needed but if your spring compessor fits, you're OK. Presumably you have experience using it. Springs can be tricky, and dangerous. I always wrap flexible steel wire multiple times around the compressed spring in several places and tightly twist the wires as added insurance against the spring coming loose. You'll also need a ball joint removal tool to undo the tie rod end so that the wheel can be dropped low enough to remove the strut. It's not a hard job but you need to proceed methodically and carefully. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Pardon me for top posting then bottom posting, but I am lazy on the first post and hope that everybody else will follow my que ...

But, let me offer up another suggestion, I like to raise the truck and set it down on a jack stand, and remove the tire and place the spring tool insode the extended spring. Then I like to use my jack to raise the suspension from the outermost point I can lift from, then close spring tool on the compressed spring, then remove any bolts that hold the spring into the spring perch and lower the jack so that the spring comes out easily.

Having said that, the very worst thing in the universe is for a compressed spring to come loose and go places without restraint and with unexpected force.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Indeed, that's a worthwhile way to do it assuming you've got enough room to get the spring compressor onto the compressed spring while the strut assembly is still on the vehicle. With a truck there may well be enough room to do so. With a small car there usually isn't. In addition, my experience in trying to jack up the suspension in order to compress the spring while the vehicle is on jack stands is that the vehicle will lift off of the jack stands before the spring compresses enough to make a difference. It's worth a try though. You are absolutely right that you don't want to be anywhere around a compessed spring that slips loose. Always proceed very slowly and carefully and back off if any signs of slippage appear. Al

Reply to
al

I just ordered a pair of that for my old Preiva from tirerack.com and had the local Midas did the work (1 hour labor).

Reply to
Rey Wang