Surprising broken leaf spring on Hilux

Hi Group, While searching around underneath my '98 Hilux ExtraCab 4WD for the source of a persistent strange scraping rattle, I noticed with shock, horror and surprise that one of the leaves of the rear lefthand spring was broken in two. It's the middle one of the five leaves that is broken, the break occurring at the level of the rear U-bolt. The broken piece has shifted back two or three inches, along with the clip that goes round the spring. I have had this truck a year, it had done 92,000 kms when I got and it has about 102,000 Kms on the clock now. I had a full service about two months ago. I can't tell when the leaf broke, but it seems to have been some time ago, judging by the mud and rust around the break. Maybe the Toyota garage that serviced it missed this, as it is not so obvious at first sight. The vehicle is not sagging to one side or anything like that, and in fact stands straight and tall. It has never done any towing and appears never to have carried any really heavy loads or had rough use, as the bed is near perfect, without dents or scratches. I suppose this means I should replace both rear springs now, but I am disappointed. And I still don't know if that is the cause of the strange scraping rattle which I get on rough roads at low speed. Anybody's thoughts on this one, please? Michael Anders

Reply to
Michael ANDERS