Tacoma 2000 offroad mirrors on 98?

Has anyone installed the 2000 Tacoma offroad mirrors on their 98 Tacoma? It appears these mirros are non-folding manual remote mirrors, which is what I want. Will they fit without any modifications? Any other parts required besides the mirror and inside trim pieces? Or is it possible to modify the inside trim pieces?

has them in chrome onsale for $53.87, which seems quite inexpensive.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Allan

Well is appears these mirrors fold as well.

The problem I have is: when I install a towing mirror on the oem mirrors, they fold back at 80km/hr (50mph). I'm looking for a mirror that resists folding enough to not fold at hwy driving speeds.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Allan

How about a bungee cord between the outside end of the mirror and the cowl? KISS. That'll stop it from folding back for anything short of physical contact...

If you're desperate, you can take the mirror apart and try finding a stiffer spring for the foldback part - not a job for the mechanically clueless, you might not be able to get it back together. ;-)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

My attempt to KISS was electical tape. Black to match the truck/mirror, but eventually wind gusts on the hwy caused the mirror to fold. Even at -10F, the electical tape had enough elasticity to let the mirror fold ( guess that would be a greater issue in CA). I took a mirror apart to see what was in there, but I didn't occur to me to try a heavier spring - good idea. I thought about a bungee cord or rope, but I didn't see a good spot on the "cowl" to secure it without marking the paint. Besides, my brother-in-law and friend (GMC owners) would have too much fun making fun of my Toy truck. Thought about duct tape too. I'm looking for more of a permanent solution, so a heavier spring a might be it.

Back on the new mirror track, I see the 2002 tacoma base model mirror is a solid mirror, if it fits.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Al

Reply to
Allan