Tacoma bed sizes

I have an '03, full bed, minimal cab; I plan to replace it with a new one as much like it as I can, except for bucket seats and automatic transmission.

The bed, even with a liner. is a real knee-killer -- especially if you have a bed cap on it. So I made a false floor, out of a sheet of heavy plywood, cut to fit and given several coats of paint, then linoleum.

Is it likely the false floor will fit what Toyota is selling now, or might I just as well include it with the '03 when I find a buyer?

Reply to
BeartoothHOS

BeartoothHOS found these unused words:

I'd leave it [width is different] and buy a BedRug. Put one into my 02' Tacoma [short bed] and it's a godsend.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Is it going to be a perfect fit? No. But it will fit, simply because what you built is probably slightly smaller than what is currently made.

You didn't say how you connected the liner you made, to the liner of the truck...if you did at all (?). If you measure some screws just right, you could screw it down to the new bed liner. This is what I did with an under-the-rail (and cover) tool box. So you don't have to drill through the metal bed itself. And then maybe put some stiff foam around the edges of the liner you made. Or just extend the edges of what you made to fit the new one if possible.

Reply to
studio

It's got a liner.

Why the need for anything?

Reply to
SnoBrdr

SnoBrdr found these unused words:

Perhaps because the OP said;

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Must have very soft knees, as it has never bothered me.

But to each their own.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

I can understand his pain. I don't have a Tocoma, but I had a Frontier with a factory bed liner. The liner had very tall / hard ridges. It was OK to walk on, but not good to crawl on. I never had a cap on the truck, so this was never a problem for me. What was a problem was now slippery the bed was. Loose items in the rear moved around under the slightest change in speed or direction. This was a farm truck, so I was constantly throwing stuff in the back to move short distances (a few miles at most). Tying things down was a real pain. For my current truck, I stayed away from a bed liner and use a rubber mat instead. All around this is a better solution - for me. Stuff mostly stays put for short trips. The ridges in the Frontiers bed liner did have one nice advantage - they kept things out of small amounts of water that sometimes accumulated in the bed.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Exactly. I knew exactly what he was talking about. With precisely measured screws, you can screw down things into those ridges instead of drilling and screwing or bolting through the metal bed itself.

Reply to
studio

[....]

Looks good online -- and there seems to be a dealer thirty miles from here. What did it cost, who installed it, and how long have you had it??

Reply to
BeartoothHOS

BeartoothHOS found these unused words:

I bought mail order from a dealer in Georgia, "Total Appearance'. In 2002, it cost $339 including shipping.

Easy install if you simply read the instructions, use a tape measure to place the velcro tabs and unroll carefully, only peeling each set's 'top' as you come to them.

Hardly any damage after 7 years, one small cut/tear - my fault with a sharp piece of metal. Scrub with same soap as you use on the car and flush out, let dry.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien