Tacoma - Looking to buy, couple questions

Hi, I was hoping you might be able to enlighten me. I am looking to buy a Tacoma Double Cab, used, 2005 to 2007 from places like the paper, autotrader, carmax, etc.

With 2005 being a new run on a different style, are there issues one needs to be aware of? I am asking about the old adage of never buying a first year model run. Anything to watch out for, stay away from?

What is the difference between a "prerunner" a not a prerunner?

I found a 2007 TRD that looks great, but I am worried about the daily commute of 50 miles each way and all the heavy duty off road stuff. Do the extra shocks, tires, etc make that much difference in ride over an SR5? Suspension?

Anything else I should be looking for, asking about?

Thank you!!

Reply to
Wendy

prerunner = looks like a 4wd, but is not. probably a little better mpg.

Reply to
tbuggle

The TRD Off-Road package is a necessity, IMHO, if you do any off-road. It will ride a little stiffer on-road though. TRD-Sport will have a limited-slip diff instead of the locking diff, locking is much preferred because you can control it.

Expect much the same mileage from any of the choices, except the manual tranny is worse for mileage than the auto. On freeway commutes, under 65 mph, expect 20 MPG from the auto. Prerunner is 2WD only, but the option packages are the same.

Reply to
DanG

For $10, you can buy 24 hrs of access to techinfo.toyota.com and check out any TSB's that might be applicable to a specific truck you're looking at.

I have an '05 Access Cab, V6, 4WD, 6 sp. manual builkt 02/05, and the biggies were:

- Cowl water leak (very early production only, I missed it)

- Short cab mount bolts (fixed on mine) Sounds like a troll kicking the floor.

- Noisy leaf springs (fixed on mine) Clicking from the rear springs over small bumps.

All of the above were fixed during the production, so later models should be OK. S/N's are listed on the TSB's.

I still absolutely LOVE this truck. Looking forward to driving it to the junkyard ~2025.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I have 10K miles on my '07 double cab, prerunner. Minor sheet metal vibration left front wheel well when cold only and minor drive train shudder when cold only, usually the first and second accelerations (may be normal getting trans fluid up to temp). No other issues and I really like the truck.

Prerunner means ground clearance of the 4WD without the 4WD.

My 4.0 auto trans gets 19 around town and 23 on the highway (70-75 mph). I have a bed cover, think it helps marginally, records show it when added, but could also be break in effect. I drive conservatively. The mileage figures are accurate, been keeping a spreadsheet since new.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. The non-prerunner versions just look strange without the lift and the small wheels.

What I cannot find is a prerunner with a 4cyl and an automatic. Everything I am finding is a 4cyl with a 5sp manual. I would really love to find a

2005 to new prerunner with a 4 cyl and auto.

Thank you again.

Reply to
Wendy

you don't want that, not really enough power in the 4cyl. for atumatic, IMO. might not even be available.

Reply to
tbuggle

Reply to
ketchcourt

Addressing the commute: I have a 2002 Tacoma, 6 cylinder, double cab, 4WD. Best mileage I've ever gotten from it, on long trips, flat highways, consistently doing 60-65 mph, is about 21 mpg.

Considering the price of gasoline, that kind of mileage absolutely sucks. It's a great truck, in terms of quality & comfort, but if I didn't have a REAL NEED for a truck (towing, in my case). "Cuz I just want a truck" isn't a real need, so think carefully. They're not safer, they're not better in snow, etc etc. "Cuz I need to bring home a sheet of plywood or some peat moss once a year" isn't a real need, either, considering that you can rent a U-Haul truck for $19.95 plus mileage.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The best snow car I ever had, a 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, 2001 Subaru Outback got 22 MPG.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)