Tacoma Shocks--what's best?

Hi,

I have a 2000 Tacoma, extended cab V-6 with the factory off-road package. Just over 100,000 miles.

Lately it's been swaying noticeably and drives a little sloppy overall. I'd like to keep it a couple more years.

What are the best shocks for me? Anything else I should check on? I guess it's time for new hoses.

It's driven mostly on the highway and maintained gravel roads. Towing is rare and light. Loads are generally light.

It does get occasional off-road use. Mainly in remote areas of Utah and the desert southwest, where drop-offs and rocks are more of a problem than sand. Also some use on old fire and logging roads here in the North Carolina mountains where you're never too many miles from a phone. I'm usually slow and cautious.

Thanks for any advice.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Sorry I'm not about to answer yr question, Bob, but I underline the plea for advice. I recently bought a 1998 Hilux (similar to Tacoma) with 92,000 kilometres (55,000 miles?) on the clock and soon realised when driving it on the rough dirt roads leading to my Mediterranean mountain hideaway that the shock absorbers fitted are simply sh*t. The vehicle is nice and smooth on the highway but bounces all over the place quite badly once I quit the blacktop. The general wisdom seems to be: fit Bilsteins. I personally will replace the front shocks with Bilsteins as soon as I can afford it. Perhaps I should do the rear ones too. But how come the stock shocks are such sh*t already? I don't get it.

BTW: Another question, Bob Why are you talking of replacing hoses already in a 2000 machine ? Which hoses?

- Hilux 2.4D XtraCab SR5

Bob a écrit dans le message : snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Shadowman

Just get some good quality heavy duty shocks. I did, don't recall the brand, and it's a huge difference. Add on some heavy duty high speed tires, and it's an amazing difference. Now when other cars get blown sideways and tilt, I remain nice and level and feel a slight pressure on the steering wheel. Much better.

Reply to
C Wood

most name brand aftermarket stuff is better than stock. Monroe SensaTrac's are pretty darn good, Rancho 5000's for your rears are also a good choice, Bilsteins are the best choice as they carry the coil-over shocks for the fronts as well as standard shock for rear, and are also a very very good german built shock.

there are others, Edelbrock, Tokico, KYB, etc.....

i narrowed my choices down to SensaTrac and Bilstein, i went with Bilstein for my 02' Taco xtra-cab 4x.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

BILSTEIN BILSTEIN BILSTEIN!!! You won't be sorry. I researched for months and tried (wasted $$) on probably 6 different kinds, the BILSTEINS were the best, although TOKIKOS are good too (but I think those could be OEM if you do not have a TRD PreRunner). If you are only going to keep for a couple years, you need to decide if the $$$ is worth it.

JB

Reply to
JB³