Tacoma spare tire

Help all. When I bought my '03 Tacoma Pre it didn't come with the tire changing tools, only the jack. I checked with my local dealer to see what tools I'd need and compared them to the device under the truck that lowers the tire and they don't match! The parts book says the device has that hook on the end and connects to an extension then to the handle and is cranked to lower the spare BUT the device on the spare is a round piece of metal that does not have any type of place for that hook to fit into and when I turn it by hand it just spins in either direction and doesn't lower or raise the spare. I know how the spare on my '91 worked and this seems to be the same according to the dealer but I'm missing something. Thanks for your help. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

Sounds like you have the anti-theft option on the spare mechanism under the truck. It has a socket inside the tube that looks something like a Torx drive. On mine, the extension has an adapter that attaches to the hook. It matches the socket under the truck. Your dealer should know about it.

Reply to
OldPhart

I hate to sound stupid, or sound like I think you're stupid, but you looked under and behind the seat and in the cubby holes in the floor behind the seat, didn't you?

The crank tool could be in the engine bay too, so you might want to look in there. I don't recall exactly, but my daughter's '02 PreRunner had tools in the cubby holes and the crank thingy was stowed on the rear bulk head near the floor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I understand your position, and no I don't think you think I'm stupid. I did look everywhere for the tools, the dealer I bought it from must have taken them out. It's a long story but after I decided to buy the truck (used) they took it for a cleaning and when they brought it back the ash tray, lighter, change tray and manual were gone. It was late at night and I didn't notice, they have since made good on those items but I didn't even think to look for the jack implements. H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin