Tacoma Towing Question

Hi Guys:

I am planning on buying a new Tacoma probably TRD 4x4. I am selling my old

89 Toyota pickup, 325K runs great but rusty. I hope the new ones are as reliable as my old truck.

My question is as follow, has anyone ever tried the new Tacoma to pull a small(20-24ft) 5th wheel trailer, or should I be looking at the Tundra or another half ton truck? Salesmen will say anything to you, that's why I don't trust salesmen.

So my options are:

  1. Buy a new Tacoma TRD for work and use it to pull the trailer once in a while.

  1. Buy either a Highlander Hybrid, FJ, then buy a used 1/2 ton to pull the trailer.

Any thoughts - Thanks in advance for the replies.

Reply to
Dan

What's the weight of the trailer?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:YBtGg.8240$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

I don't have one yet, I just sold my RV. I haven't decided between a trailer and a 5th wheel, but I do want new transportation, this is why I was curious to see if it can handle a 5th wheel, I believe the 5th wheels are around 8.5-10,000 lbs, but that is the weight of the whole 5th wheel.

Reply to
Dan

I believe that's WAY beyond the towing capacity of a Tacoma. Specs are on Toyota's web site. I'd check there before I'd believe anything a salesman says.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom
2200kg

regards free MMOG online

Reply to
iibm2323
2200kg

regards free MMOG online

Reply to
iibm2323

I agree, it is way beyound a Tacomas abilty big time. Not even close. I would consider a used 3/4 ton for towing it also, not a 1/2 ton because 1/2 tons made in last 70 years are a lot lighter duty suspension wise than older ones.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

yes... I'll add to this... if you plan to pull a trailer like that then in my view 1/2 ton trucks are not even in consideration. Remember you have to stop the trailer too.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

I have a 06 Tacoma and I just bought a 24 foot travel trailer. Its 3600 lbs dry and tows well. You can tell its there but the Tacoma does a good job of pulling it. Don't know if the 5th wheel would be a problem with the composite bed....maybe a tad more expensive to install if nothing else

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Under ideal conditions you may do okay but it is when the un expected happens (a sudden unplanned stop or manuvere in traffic or loss of trailer brakes) that it can really get ugly with that much weight behind it.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

....not to mention wicked crosswinds, and tractor-trailers that seem to have their very own cyclone behind them as they pass, or as you drive behind them. Sometimes it's apparent even if you're 8-10 car lengths behind them.

The OP should consider ALL the aspects of the "will it tow this much" question. Suspension, transmission and horsepower. If the suspension's not up to the job, the trailer will control the truck. The transmission - who knows - too much depends on how you drive and how well you maintain the vehicle. Horsepower - is there enough to quickly maneuver out of bad situations?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Elbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Reply to
Dan

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:a0ZGg.8321$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I will probably buy a Highlander and a used 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck to pull the trailer or 5th wheel.

Reply to
Dan

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:15ZIg.2$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

The reason why I need an SUV, is sometimes I carry large boxes which won't fit in a car. I currently drive a 1989 Toyota pickup short box, 4x4, bought it new Dec '88. I don't want a minivan because I do a fair amount of country driving, and if the roads are in bad shape, a minivan doesn't handle as well. I also want a 4x4 because sometimes we get a good dump of snow in winter, and the extra clearance makes a big difference. Thanks.

Reply to
Dan

You might consider a used 2001 or earlier Jeep Cherokee (not that I am against Yota's because I do like them) as they are very simple and tuff vehicles that hold up well on and off road and can carry good weight for their size and have great ground clearance too for their size as well. My wife drives a 2000 model with a 4cyl and a 5 speed and while it is not the smoothest riding vehcle with simple low tech straight axles front a rear but it has been a real little workhorse at times and very reliable. A real good utilty vehicle reminicent of the family station wagon of the 60 and 70's in utilty. I have a old trucky style 89 4x4 suburban with straight axles too that I bought new and the Jeep is like a mini "Burb". The Liberty that replaced the Cherokee is not half the vehicle it was and has been trouble prone too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

For what it's worth, I mentioned buying a Jeep to my mechanic just before I bought my Tacoma. He said he believed Jeep had a secret room full of Germans whose sole job was to design electrical problems, like VW & Audi were famous for. I asked him if he was exaggerating. He yelled to the other two guys "J is thinking about a Jeep....", and that produced peals of laughter. They all agreed on one thing: If I bought a used Jeep, please don't bring it here for repair. The vehicles create customers who hate their mechanics.

Just a thought.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The new Liberty and other Jeep models after 2001 with "german" engineering are a lot less jeep and a lot more Dodge and tend to be a lot more troublesome too. THe problem with Jeep now is Dalmer/Benz its parent because they really do not have a clue as to what a Jeep is really suppossed to be. The best Jeeps where built of designed when AMC ownd them from early 70 until late 89. SInce then Chysler "improved" them without messing them up too much with the Cherokee ending in 2001 being the last of the old simple dependable breed. When Dalmer/Bemz got the hands on it it has become less of a Jeep with each revision.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

This nonsense seems to be rampant in other industries, too. Reynolds recently added a sliding plastic cutter to their plastic wrap box. It's an annoyance because it causes one edge of the wrap to fold over as you pull it off the roll unless you tip the box to one side to be sure the cutter was all the way against the end of the track. I don't know about you, but in 40+ years of using plastic wrap, I've never had a problem getting it off the roll without special contraptions. Reynolds says they used focus groups which told them that a perfectly good package needed to be ruined.

There are companies whose business it is to do research and conduct focus groups for corporate clients who wish fix things that aren't broken. It wouldn't be very surprising to find out that Reynolds & Chrysler are both clients of the same research firm.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I've owned several Jeeps, several Toyotas, and currently own a Tacoma and a Wrangler.

Those guys are absolutely correct!

Reply to
B A R R Y