Tacoma Towing Question

SnoMan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hi TheSnoMan.com:

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee that I purchased new in '98, my wife wanted it. It only has 48,000KM on it now, and with an inline 6Cyl. Really poor gas mileage, only does about 14mpg. I have put more repairs in it just for regular maintenance than in the 18 years and 322,000KM on the Toyota also doing the regular maintenance. I don't want any domestic SUV/Trucks, my parents had a Ford 3/4ton, and a mustang, the truck was in the repair shop every 3 weeks for the first 6 months before he finally returned it to the dealer. They could not find the problem on it, if you backed up, it would disengage from 4x4. The brakes would pulsate all the time, the dealer replaced the complete braking system(according to them) and it still did it. The mustang was not much better, always problems with it, it had a V6, I think the V8 would have been better, very poor quality.

Reply to
Dan

If you are considering a tralier (ie not 5th wheel) and the weight of the trailer can be kept under 7000 lbs you might consider a Toyota 4Runner.

When I was shopping for a tow vehicle in late 2004 I was actually amazed that the 4Runner (V8 4WD) had a towing capacity of 7000 lbs. That turned out to be higher than both the Tundra and Sequoia capacities of 6500 lbs each. Be advised that that the 7K towing capacity requires a weight distributing hitch setup. The V6 4Runner has a different towing capacity (5K, I think).

Obviously, there are many things to consider when towing (ie length and weight of trailer, tongue weight, wheelbase of tow vehicle, weight of tow vehicle, etc.)

I ended up buying a 4Runner and it tows my 20ft, enclosed car trailer (~5,500 lbs) without breaking a sweat. I also use sway control which means no sway, even with 30-40 mph cross winds or passing tractor trailers.

FYI, when not towing I get 15-16 mpg around town and 19-20 mpg on the highway (I do take it easy on the throttle). When towing I get around 9-10 mpg on relatively flat terrain and 7-8 mpg n the mountains. These mpg figures are all calculated and are not from the on-board computer which is always optimistic for mpg figures.

Also, with the rear seats down there is about 5 feet long and 4 feet wide of flat floor space for hauling items large items.

Good Luck,

Reply to
Charlie R.

"Charlie R." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Thanks Charlie for you input. It gives me different options.

Reply to
Dan

The amazing part is that people believe it. Takes more than a V8 to handle 7k safely and effectively.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Wolfgang

Actually it is a issue because you need to be able to deal with trailer brake failure because I have had it happen to me 3 times in 30 years so it does happen and I stay on top of things too. Also when you start haveing to use sway control devices too it is because the two vehicle is indeed too light for the load behind it because if it was stout enough chassis, suspension and tires wise, you would not need it to begin with. I have towed pull type trailers weighing over 13k with not weight distrubuting hitch or sway control with no stabilty issue because I pull them with a 1 ton P/U with single rear wheels as 1500 lbs of tougne weight is no big deal for it with its heavy chassis and tires and brakes. A 5K trailer would be asking for trouble here. When you run on the ragged edge of true towing capacity and need stabilty control to do it, things can get ugly quickly when things go wrong. (sudden unplanned stops or manuvers at speed)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Isn't the V8 Dakota / Durango rated for something like 9000?

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yes and it is another one of those wishfull thinking marketing tool.

9K with a Durango would be a real joke especailly when things got ugly.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

The car makers usually set that number a bit high - it CAN do it, but you are usually pushing the limits on your braking (even with trailer brakes) and acceleration.

I can put that much trailer behind my FJ-62 Cruiser with the 4.0 Six, but you would time me slogging up the I-5 'Grapevine Route' pass to Bakersfield with a calendar instead of a stopwatch...

(It's bad enough when I hitch 2,000# and tackle the same hill.)

If they say 7,000, the realistic limit is around 5,000 with trailer brakes, the trailering package (increased radiator cooling, trans cooler, fan clutch, alternator and springs) and the trailer properly balanced with a load leveler hitch installed. That leaves you a little cushion if you bring home extra souvenirs.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

IMHO, if you regularly rely on horsepower to get out of bad situations you're a bad driver. I've never had a problem with not enough horsepower towing 1400lbs with a Corolla, or riding on interstate with a passenger and luggage on 250cc motorcycle. I would have been more comfortable with brakes on that trailer a few times, but acceleration was never an issue.

If Toyota says you can safely tow 6500 lbs, you should have no problems with a 5000lb trailer. Obviously you should check the lights and brakes every day, keep the truck lightly loaded, and be an extra cautious driver when towing any trailer. If you don't do the above, its not the vehicle that is unsafe its the driver.

Reply to
someone

What year Corolla, and how was the hitch bar attached? In 2002, I wanted a Corolla for towing my less-than-1200 lb small boat. I took the demo car to two places well known here for creative towing solutions. Both said the same thing: The bar would have to be attached to the trunk pan, an idea they thought was lousy. Did you find a better solution?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Its a 1994. Hidden Hitch/Reese/DrawTite make bolt on Class 1 receiver hitches for them. I also just got a Hidden Hitch for my wife's new Vibe. In both cases there are pre-threaded holes in a sturdy part of the "frame"

8-10" infront of the bumper just for this purpose.

The hitches are ~$120 online and they take half an hour and a couple wrenches to install. One of those bolt on hitches and a little folding utility trailer from Harbor Freight turns a Corolla into a better plywood/sheetrock hauler than the Tacoma.

Of course once you get hooked on the ease of trailers you might want a mid-sized enclosed trailer and then you'll be shopping for a Tacoma to pull it. (Currently shopping.)

Reply to
someone

Did you do anything with stiffer shocks?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Exactly!

I had a 4x8 open trailer and a Subaru Outback. Then I went to a 5x8 enclosed with the Outback. Now I've got a 5x12 enclosed, and a Tacoma to pull it.

To be fair, with the Tacoma I usually don't need the trailer unless I need lockable storage, I'm getting hardwood and it's raining, or I'm moving stationary machinery. I can easily put 12' hardwood stock and long moldings on my Thule Xsporter, over the Tacoma's roof.

One thing to be aware of with the small open, and especially the small cheapie folding trailers, is that they tow like crap when empty. Any decent sized pothole or irregular road will get them airborne and whipping back and forth. I doubt the wheels and bearings would last long if you aren't careful in such situations. If a light trailer usually lightly loaded, building it up somehow, like adding pressure treated wooden sides, to add weight can be very helpful.

Reply to
B A R R Y

What year Tacoma? Any water leakage with the Thule clamps in place?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

2005.

Why would water leak? The Xsporter attaches to the bed tie-down rails.

Reply to
B A R R Y

OK - I looked too quickly at the Thule site. The only Xporter for my year truck is a roof thing. On my Taurus, the roof clamps caused just a little leakage through the tops of the doors.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not specifically for towing, but the good old made in USA struts blew out at

83k miles and I replaced them. Don't think that was related to towing because a family member who also has a '94 Corolla blew one of his out at 87k miles and he doesn't have a hitch or put heavy things in his trunk.

I put KYB struts in and it makes a little difference when towing a heavy load, but even with the original struts you didn't notice a < 1000lb load back there if the weight was distributed properly. I usually only have

80-100 lbs on the hitch when towing 1000lbs and don't often tow more than that.
Reply to
someone

No, that's a Xpedition. They also make a Transporter, which is a rear-mount cargo box.

The only Xsporter Thule makes is a truck bed rack, there is no Xsporter for the roof.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sure there is. Product #421 Xsporter Roof Mount System This link will probably fall apart. Be sure to include the # at the end when you piece it back together.

JoeSpareBedroom