Thinking of purchasing 4-cylinder 1997 4runner....??

Thinking of purchasing 4-cylinder 1997 4runner....?? How reliable is the 4-cyl engine...?? From my understanding it is a 16-valve version of the 22-r.

Now I know some people have said the 4 cylinder is a bit underpowered. So is there any mecnanical problems with the 4 cyclinder engine. Now I would assume that since it is a manual transmission that this would negate the transmission problems...

Vehicle value: The engine has 127,000 miles and is a automatic transmission. The kelly blue book lists the value at $4,900 for private party purchase. The windshield has a small crack at the bottom. The Autotrader lists similar vehicles for around $6,700-7000

. So what should I offer the owner. I am thinking from $5000-5500.

Reply to
hizark21

The 22-RE is a tank. I have a '90 4runner and have been offered money on more than one occasion because they wanted the engine. However, it is underpowered for the 4runner which used to bother me. But then I figured out I spent most of the time on flat highway roads where I get 24-25 mpg than in the mountains where I may have be in 2nd gear to make it up some inclines.

Reply to
grinder

It's not the same engine as the 22RE at all. Its a 2.7L twin OH cam with 16 valves 150 HP --- the 22RE is only 2.4L 116HP. It is a long lasting engine and gets okay gas mileage pushing the heavy 4Rnr around. Of course with a

5spd it would offer much better performance than with an automatic.
Reply to
Wolfgang

Hey! Just wondering if that 2.7L will easily fit into an "86" 4x4 that's currently got a 2..4L in it? Bill

Reply to
William Brown

Easily - NO! Nothing is easy in newer cars with all the electronics. Ever try changing out a wiring harnes (you'd need the new ECU for sure plus all the sensors)? Even the exhaust is on the other side. A 3.8L GM V6 would be about same amount of work for far more power and I suspect operating economy. IMHP It would be cheaper/easier to mod the 22RE and get the extra HP out of it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Just trying to keep my options open. I've got the 22R-TE fairly modified now and it's a California car - never been in a wreck. Just hoping to keep it alive for another 10 years or so. Bill

Reply to
William Brown