tick, tick, tick, tick. What is ticking on 3L V6?

This has been bugging me for some time. '93 P/U 4X4, 291k. It runs fine and the engine is real quite at idle, but for this ticking noise. Sounds like a relay opening and closing twice a second or so. Maybe faster. It goes faster with the engine RPM. I don't think this is the EFI as I hear only one loud click and not 6. I can't seem to trace it down, but it sounds like someplace on top of the engine.

Anyone know what this is? Thanks

-Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

Yeah, I would like to know too.

I have a 1990 pickup and a 1995 4-Runner, both with the V-6. Both of them make a tick, tick, tick sound.

If my '68 Ford Mustang 289 sounded like that, the engine would be about to blow up.

Sounds to me like the valve lash is clicking, but it could be something else.

Kirk

Reply to
kirk_

Could be valve lash, yes. Quite possible.

But Toyotas are also known for their *extremely* loud injectors!

Reply to
HachiRoku

my guess is that it's the injectors. toyota is known for loud injectors. plus, you wouldn't hear 6 clicks: in the v6 the 3 injectors on each bank are fired at the same time. in the 4cyl all 4 are fired at the same time. both my 22re and 3vze have made this ticking sound for 235k and 130k miles respectively, and i've had no problems.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

After a quick search in the service manual, you are right on the firing order. It must be the injectors, but it really sounds like a box relay to me. :)

Thanks Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

All Toyota injectors have *always* been loud!

Reply to
HachiRoku