ticking noise

I have an 06 Tundra and it has a ticking noise coming from the left side of engine, its the V-6, kind of sounds like a valve tapping, is this a normal sound. The truck has 80 miles on it

Reply to
chris

How loud is it? some noise is normal, could be a valve (not a piston valve but a pneumatic one). Does it vary with revs?

Reply to
Scotty

Yes it does vary with revs.

Reply to
chris

I had that on my 3VZE and it turned out to be an exhaust valve of some sort. Cost $70 to fix, the part was $18 but to find cost and hours labour. :o(

Reply to
Scotty

My son has the same 4.0 V-6 in his 06 Tacoma. It has had a slight ticking from new. It has 10,000 miles on it now and sounds the same. The dealer says its normal and we have to agree. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Same 4L V6 is in my '03 4Rnr and I have it too from day 1. It appears to be think walled exhaust headers --- vice the old heavy cast iron one.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Dunno, can't hear it through the 'puter. My 2005 Tundra with the V-6 has over 36,000 miles on it and doesn't make any ticking noise except when I pick up another nail in a tire.

Reply to
Noon-Air