Timing Belt

My '00 Prerunner has 57850 mi. Had it to the dealer for a sqeeking blower motor. I do most of my servicing and been told I over service this truck. The dealer says it timr to change the timing belt on the v-6. The book says the belt should be changed at 6 years or 90,000 miles, this truck is just 5 years old and just under 58000 miles. The price is okay $250.00 but I just wonder what other people think about this repair. Thanks, Scott

Reply to
zonie

This seems to one of the Toyota dealership's favorite rip-off tactics. My wife has an Avalon and I a Tundra. Our local dealer pulls the same crap. The wife's car recently turned 60K and the dealer recommended the same. When I showed him the car maint schedule, which said 90K, he said something about the book being suggested and doesn't take into consideration local conditions. Another guy standing beside me didn't even wait for me to say "bullshit," he said it for me. 90K is fine.

Reply to
TLoewenberg

For what it is worth I replaced the timing belt myself on my 91 Camary a few years ago after 185K miles. (I bought car new) It had not broken or badly frayed yet but it was reaching the end of its service life from looking at it. Modern timing belts can generally go 100K or more without even thinking about as the quality of factory belts on a toyota is quite high from what I have seen on the few I have worked on.

Reply to
SnoMan

Toyota has several interference engines with timing belts. Those really should be done on schedule, 90k, 'cuz the consequence of a broken belt is expen$ive.

-3.0 V-6 1MZ-FE

-3.3 V-6 3MZ-FE

-1.5 L-4 3E

-4.7 V-8 2UZ-FE

-2.2 L-4 diesel

-2.4 L-4 diesel

-3.4 V-6 5VZ-FE

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Doug Kanter

Belt breaks, valves meet pistons, very bad.

Reply to
Dan G

The consenquence for the dealer pocket book is higher because they make a lot of money on those routine jobs so some use the "scare" tactic. In some rare cases you can have a problem with valves hitting the piston in some engines but that is very rare with Yota?s these days regardless of what they say because when they design the engine they do not want it to be damaged by a broken belt.

If you are concerned, you can remove the cover and look at the belt but 5 year old Toy with 57K on it is not going to have a bad timing belt and the only cars I have ever seen the belts go bad on before

100K or so was a honda and a few Detriot cars. Toyota uses very high quality belts in there cars and my 91 still had its original accesory belt too after 220K miles. A toyota timing belt is better than any belt you can buy from a parts store too and they have very long service lifes.
Reply to
SnoMan

Gates has it wrong about the 3.4 V-6 5VZ-FE. It is NOT an interference engine.

BBtaco

Reply to
bbtaco

While it's not convenient to be left on the side of the road, the 3.4 v6 is not an interference engine - valves and pistons will not contact each other so the traditionaL scare of the damage of a broken belt isn't a factor. Yes, you're still left unable to drive. I put one in at 75000 but I was replacing the water pump at the same time. I have 140000 miles now and unless I go on a long trip plan to get at least 100000 miles on this one.

Reply to
Robert

"Robert" wrote: > While it's not convenient to be left on the side of the road, > the 3.4 v6 is > not an interference engine - valves and pistons will not > contact each other > so the traditionaL scare of the damage of a broken belt isn't > a factor. Yes, > you're still left unable to drive. I put one in at 75000 but > I was replacing > the water pump at the same time. I have 140000 miles now and > unless I go > on a long trip plan to get at least 100000 miles on this one. > > > In message > , > "zonie" wrote: > > My '00 Prerunner has 57850 mi. Had it to the dealer for a > sqeeking blower > > motor. I do most of my servicing and been told I over > service this truck. > > The dealer says it timr to change the timing belt on the > v-6. The book > > says the belt should be changed at 6 years or 90,000 miles, > this truck is > > just 5 years old and just under 58000 miles. The price is > okay $250.00 but > > I just wonder what other people think about this repair. > Thanks, Scott > > -- > Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc. > Usenet wherever you are -

Also from what I have seen, the timing belts seem to last longer on manual trannies to and my "guess" is because there is less "shock" of sudden RPM change on drive belt that you can get with a automatic shifts its gears.

Reply to
SnoMan

the 3.4 is not an interference engine 1 not sure if the list below means it is. I confirmed this with my dealer as well as turning my crankshaft several revolutions with no belt intalled - no contact.

Robert

what about the 3.0l 3VZE from the 4runners? is this the 1MZ-FE they list?