timing belt on 2000 tundra

Recently traded for a 2000 Tundra with 118000 miles on it. It has the 4.7 V8 engine AT.

I do not know the history on the vehicle, but it runs good and seems to be in good shape.

My concern is the timing belt. I hate to spend the money to have it replaced if it has already been done. Any way of telling if it has been replaced? I can't find any stickers on it, but someone has written, on top of the air filter housing (TLL 1.2500). Also across the top of the radiator support (0-1-25.00).Would these numbers indicate anything?

What should I expect to pay to have timing belt, idlers and water pump replaced.

Thanks for any help charles

Reply to
Charles
4.7 | V8 engine AT. | | I do not know the history on the vehicle, but it runs good and seems to be | in good shape. | | My concern is the timing belt. I hate to spend the money to have it | replaced if it has already been done. Any way of telling if it has been | replaced? I can't find any stickers on it, but someone has written, on top | of the air filter housing (TLL 1.2500). Also across the top of the radiator | support (0-1-25.00).Would these numbers indicate anything? | | What should I expect to pay to have timing belt, idlers and water pump | replaced. | | | Thanks for any help | charles

If it was done by a dealer or a good shop it should have a sticker. Who knows what the numbers mean. If it was done by a Toyota dealer they should be able to pull it up on their computer.

The recommended replacement interval is 90,000 miles, the same as the V6 Tacoma.

I would ask the dealer I purchased it from for a CarFax report. It shouldn't cost them anyting for the report. However, one of the shortcomings of CarFax is that it may not show on the report if it was done by anyone other than a dealer's shop.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

You may have a service sticker near the timing cover. Of course it needs to be real hopefully. It's an interference engine so you should make sure the belt is changed (and oil seals, water pump, idlers too).

Reply to
johngdole

I have an '01 Tundra and I just had my timing belt changed last month. An independent foreign shop gave me an estimate of $675.00 but I just wasn't confident in what they were telling me and never could tell me exactly what they were going to replace. I then had my dealer do it, even though they were about $150.00 more than the indy garage. I just felt more confident in what the dealer was doing, received a printout of what everything was going to cost ahead of time and they also replaced the water pump while they were in there. Yeah, maybe I paid a little more, but it's fully warrantied and it's in their computers so when it comes time to sell it or trade it in, that info will be available. Good luck on yours! I have no idea where you live but I'd guess yoru truck will cost about the same as the quotes above.

Reply to
pr