Timing Chain and crank seal change

My R22 engine in my 1986 truck has about 160,00 mile on it and has been flawless but now it is starting to throw some oil around the engine compartment and on the ground around the front of the engine if I let it sit and run awhile. I am thinking it is the front seal and that this my be a good time to change the timing chain and associated worn components.

If this sounds like a good idea to any of you then I would like to pick you brains on what I should check, look for, change and any tricks that may be helpful for a "first timer" to know before embarking on this project. I have worked on old VW flat fours for years but this Toyota is new to me. I'm sure some of you have neat little tid-bits of information that will make the job easier than if I just tackle it alone. Any help will be much appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Tom T

Having worked on VW boxers you are talking a direct gear drive versus a timing chain, two totally different beasts.

I just sold an 87 4x4 with a 22r and it had 178k on the clock. I owned it since new. The oil was always changed between 3k and 5k miles. It didn't leak or burn. The reason I mention this because a few years back I spoke to two local Toyota dealers about changing the timing chain. They said as long as the oil is changed regularly with a quality oil and filter and the engine is not abused by overrevving the timing chains last "nearly forever" as one shop told me.

So depending on what the maintenance history is is what determines your action. If it's maintenance history is questionable and you are going to change out the front main seal anyway, change the chain while you're in there. It's cheaper in the long run. Since I've never changed a 22R chain I suggest you buy a Chilton's service manual and follow their advise. They give tips a factory service manual doesn't.

Reply to
Richard Santmier via CarKB.com

The front crankshaft oil seal usually lasts 140-170 000 miles and the info is below:

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve/speedy sleeve (seal saver sleeve,balancer repair sleeve,crank seal saver) slides over shaft:

Felpro # 16214=3D$5 Future # 21-2514 (aluminum shaft sleeve included) NAPA repair sleeve # 99177 (Mack PDC,National,Car Quest) Pioneer repair sleeve (Silver Seal) # HB-4133

attached with some epoxy or use Loctite 609 or 242 or put some red RTV and fill that groove before you put it on also look in the yellow pages under "bearing suppliers". For a picture:

Front crank oil seal (front input shaft seal):

Fed Mogul (National,Timken Seals) # 710345 Toyota # 90311-45014 (brown, 7 mm thick) & 90311-30115, Chicago Rawhide # CR17758 (9 mm thick) or CR550294 (7mm thick) Beck Arnley # 0522144

NAPA repair sleeve # 99317(rear),list price $68.10>$33.19 net Canadian $ and the seal was $12.10

Rear crank seal Toyota # 90311-80010,90311-80001 (the earlier 20R & 22R seal),90311-80010 (is the improved version. It is made out of silicone and has double lip for better sealing).

This info provided by EB:there are 3 versions of the speedy sleeve:

1)one is light steel with spray chrome flashing(yuk) 2)one is steel with chrome plating 3)and the good ones are all stainless steel and they are made in Canada.

Most engine wear on any engine occurs at startup with that said the R series Toyota engines such as the 18R,20R and 22R all use a timing chain which it's tension is supplied by hydraulically driven timing chain tensioner which has it's oil pressure build up few seconds after the engine has started therefore the timing chain rubs on the driver's side brown colored nylon/plastic timing chain dampener or guide and after so many miles (140-170 000 miles in the city with the average 4 starts per day) the driver's side guide breaks through causing the chain to rub on the timing chain cover for the first few seconds upon startup and when driving in 5th gear and letting off the gas. Usually by this point the other timing components such as the camshaft sprocket,crankshaft sprocket and chain have their specs out of tolerance and hence must be replaced as well.The tensioner sometimes sticks due to dirt build up and other problems arise as well and must be replaced as well,all of those parts are sold in the aftermarket world as a "timing chain kit" which also include gaskets and a front oil crankshaft seal.Toyota on the other hand for some reason does not sell the parts as a kit but as individual parts which would cost around $400+ and from all of the reading I have done on many Toyota

4-Runner/pickup discussion sites I have come to the conclusion that many experienced off-roaders who cannot afford to buy all of the genuine Toyota timing parts instead buy the chain and tensioner from Toyota and the other parts from aftermarket as a kit but of course don't use the aftermarket chain or tensioner. The best brand of aftermarket timing chain parts to use on the 20R & 22R series Toyota motors are:

and if you choose to buy from Toyota these places have the best prices in the USA & probably the whole world:

(10% shipping)
(free shipping with $100 & up)
Other ways to check timing chain wear are:

you can also remove the valve cover and take a flashlight and see if the driver's side timing chain dampener or guide wore through.

You can bend 1 to all 8 valves and have timing cover eaten through if you wait and then coolant and oil mix together to give you butterflies in your stomach.You can do a fluid analysis on your engine oil by going to any Caterpillar and buying a fluid analysis kit for around $15-20 and taking a sample of your old oil.

Finally these sites explain the timing chain replacement well:

sidneybek

[...]

Sidney=AE =99 Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada

1985 Toyota 4-Runner,solid fr> My R22 engine in my 1986 truck has about 160,00 mile on it and has been
Reply to
sidneybek

What great information. Thanks! It will take me awhile to devour it all and I will be sure to get back on here with how it all worls out. Tom

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve/speedy sleeve (seal saver sleeve,balancer repair sleeve,crank seal saver) slides over shaft:

Felpro # 16214=$5 Future # 21-2514 (aluminum shaft sleeve included) NAPA repair sleeve # 99177 (Mack PDC,National,Car Quest) Pioneer repair sleeve (Silver Seal) # HB-4133

Sidney® T Repairs tv's,vcr's,home/car audio out of my home E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Dartmouth,Nova Scotia Canada