Timing Chain Question

How often to replace in a 2.4L 2000 Tacoma? Every 120,000 miles?...sooner?

Reply to
Your Name Here

Check with the manufacturer's recommendation. You may be able to hear the clapping of broken links before it gives out entirely. On the other hand it may fail with no warning.

The 2.4L is a distructive engine. Meaning if the timing chain fails it will take out the valves and damage the cylinders. So the frequency of failure will increase with time even though it may be initially low. However the critically of the event is huge.

Reply to
grinder

Daughter has a '90 22RE I told her last year at around 140k to have the timing chain replaced --- it went a week before Christmas with 167k. It didn't break but it did eat a big slot in the aluminum timing belt housing letting coolant mix with the oil. So $100 in parts became $300! Its a long tedious job to replace!

Reply to
Wolfgang

I think it cost me about $1300 to replace.

Reply to
grinder

Reply to
nobody