timing chain question

my 1992 4cyl. is approaching 160K & i was wondering if the timing chain needs to be replaced at some point soon.

thanks....

Reply to
T T

I believe it should have been changed about 110,000 miles ago....

Reply to
It's just me

Timing *chain*? I doubt it. I wish all automakers used chains. I had about 160k on my truck before I even thought of changing it. Bought one, never installed it, threw it in with the truck when I sold it.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

If that's miles - that's a good time to think about replacing it. Does it make noise at start up and then make noise while running? Once it starts to slap around it tend to eat the aluminum timing chain cover - causing antifreese to mix with the oil. The weak spot is not the chain but the plastic chain guides. Its not an easy (8-10 hour DIY job) or inexpensive job ($600-800). If you change your oil often it tend to have a longer life.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Some 22R/RE trucks go well over 200k miles on a chain. YMMV.

Reply to
JeB

i just bought the truck about a month ago. the engine is very quiet & it runs like new. i got it from the original owner ( a lady of about 60 yrs. in age ). I just thought i'd check in case it shoud be replaced at a certain time before I damage something. Thanks for all your input.....T T

Reply to
T T

Reply to
ToddWiedeman

Reply to
Toytruck

I went 245 K before I changed it. There was some scraping of the timing cover just beginning at that time. The guides were not broken but when I just barely touched them they cracked and fell into pieces.

Reply to
mnm

Now, but if you ever have to pull the head off like if you blow a head gasket or something, go ahead and replace it and get metal chain guides for it. What I did in my 85 2wd truck at 192,000. Think the metal chain guides were gotten from DOA Racing engines

Reply to
Tacoma Dude

I have 280,000 miles, on my 22re, 92 toy ext cab, 2wd.

What kind of noise does it make?

My engine sounds fine.

j.

Reply to
Into the living sea of waking

Well I had my 90 V6 4-runner timing changed at 150 000km..And was told by my mechanic that it should be changed every 150 000 km? Is it worth the risk not doing?...Can do some serious damage? I am now nearing 300 000 km at would almost consider having it done again? New clutch..new ball joints this year ($$$$) Now its the oil leak that is really gettin to me....what do you think ...some seals? Had the valve cover gasket done about a year ago...didnt seem to help the oil leak though?

Just a few thoughts.

Reply to
Jason

Only if you want to continue driving it.

Reply to
Grover Sigman