Timing chain replacement - ouch!!

1990 4runner w/22-RE 4 cylinder; 138k miles but runs well. Yesterday took it into the garage and they said they heard knocking and thought the cause was the timing chain guides and not the timing chain itself. $1446 to replace the timing chain!!!

My first thought was to sell it but it still runs fine and I doubt I could replace it with something comparable without considerable cost (I also know the history of the truck, it's paid for and the license is inexpensive). The cost for replacing the chain was a shocker though.

Reply to
Grinder

They had a quote of 8.2 hrs labor for the timing chain job on my 85 22r truck. With all those tools-8.2 hrs? Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

inexpensive).

Maybe I should tell them to try and get at it from the front of the engine versus the rear seat.

Reply to
Grinder

Reply to
Nick

That is steep. My mechanic has done several of these, mine is a 90 22re =

Reply to
David N Emmet

that's a little steep, but generally i think it's worth it. it cost me $1100 to replace my timing chain. but i live in an area where labor costs are high for everything. 138k miles is not very much for a

22re. i have 235k on mine and it runs as good as new. i wouldn't get rid of such a young engine just yet.
Reply to
Mike Deskevich

I just had a new OEM chain and the DOA steel backed guides installed in my '85 SR5 Extra Cab (22RE Engine). I also had 'em replace a blown head gasket and install a new OEM oil pump. I took it into the shop at 8AM and the mechanic called me about 1:30PM and said the job was done. It cost me about $800 total. If I were you, I'd start looking for a new mechanic. An honest one. (If there is there such a thing) Good luck. Jerry

PS Yes! I know that there are "honest" mechanics, but they are getting few and far between. jj

Reply to
Jerry

Damn....none of my messages are propegating!

At any rate, a new 22RE short block from Toyota costs $1500!

Your garage got gold-plated tools, or as Click and Clak say, is there a boat parked somewhere in sight?

My 1990 Nissan 240SX needed a chain, guides, we did the gears and the tensioner. Total, $375, 6.5 hours. Good mechanic. Nissan quoted me $580 complete, Independant Nissan garage $780!

Even at $85/hr, at 8 hrs, that's $680, with approx $45 for the chain, $30 for the tensioner, $30 for the guides, $35 for the gear set!

You didn't mention, is this US dollars, or CDN, AU, NZ??? Also is this a dealer, or a guy at a corner garage with a big boat? ;)

Go somewhere else, man, this is way too much!

BTW, if you *do* go back there, let me know how *big* the dude's boat is!

Reply to
HachiRoku

That is bad, honestly. What is their hourly rate? Parts will be timing chain, camshaft sprocket and spring tensioner, valve cover and front cover gaskets. Add the water pump-- it's insane to pull the front cover and not replace the water pump, as it is a fairly inexpensive part and the labor to r&r it later is rediculous. Here in central Florida a "good" (as in competent, honest, reliable and independent--but ASE certified) shop gets $50 an hour. I think the dealer gets 60 or 70, but those guys are too busy and their output is slow. I can't imagine the book calling for more than 4 hrs labor. I've not done the job myself since "86 on an '81. The parts then were about 250, and I did the job in

3 hrs in the dorm pkng lot.

Lastly, do you think perhaps the knocking sound they hear is the valves tapping? I think the 22re has self adjusting lifters, but all the motors from 18r to 22re were kinda noisy in the head. Just a thought...

Reply to
?reality

Dang, why so much? My Toyota dealer ran a coupon and I got the timing belt replaced in my 3L V6 for under $200 USD. And it's not an easy part to get to. Is the chain that much harder to access on the 22-RE?

Reply to
Eddie

I have been hearing a little tapping immediately on cold start too. At 138k I am on my second clutch and second water pump (soon to be 3).

inexpensive).

Reply to
Grinder

I asked for clarification as to what work was going to be done for the $1446. In addition to the timing chain they would also replace the upper and lower gears, guides and seals. The dealership came in with about the same price but over 10 hours work (vs. 9-1/2 hours for the first shop). Maybe the price isn't so bad considering and they might as well replaced the other items while they are there.

Reply to
Grinder

Where do you live? If labor rates are high in your area, then I could possibly see the high amounts, but new gears and an extra 1/2 hour of labor doesn't justify an extra 600 ducats. It's not a difficult job for a mechanic, hell I've done 7 or 8 and I'm a hack... If you want to come to NC, I'll do it for $1346 ;) Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

Yes it is, the belt is located outside of the motor, whereas the chain is located inside of the motor and is in an oil bath, making it much more work to access and seal back up. Slik

Reply to
slikrikd

Still a little excessive. See my post about the 240SX. And that is a TRUCK engine! (Nissan Pickup, with EFI as opposed to TBI)

Still excessive, even with the gears! What is the labour rate?

This whole job should come at most to $850, and that's being generous!

Reply to
HachiRoku

|| 1990 4runner w/22-RE 4 cylinder; 138k miles but runs well. || Yesterday took it into the garage and they said they heard knocking || and thought the cause was the timing chain guides and not the timing || chain itself. $1446 to replace the timing chain!!!

DIY, if ya can't then you're out the $$... time to learn how....

Reply to
RedForeman ©®