tire dry rot

Is it possible that tire dressing causes dry rot? I have 4 year old b.f goodrich 265/70r16 with 54000 miles that show cracking and the local tire dealer says it's caused by tire dressing. However there is cracking on the tread and I have never put dressing on the tread. Is this a defect?

/
Reply to
thorm mund
54,000 miles on the tires, or the truck?

If you have that many miles on the tires, do not pursue any claim for defects.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah, it's time for new tires.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I had some tires that lasted for almost 70,000 miles before the tread was too shallow to drive on safely. I also had tires with about that much mileage, but 8 years old that developed a "black baseball" on the side. Change tires according to the age, tread depth, and general condition. Dry rot is not covered under warranty. Miles are. If they are dry rotting, change them. 54,000 miles in and of themselves do not say a lot for tires with a 70,000 mile tread life.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Did you know most tires lose significant performance at 1/2 usable tread life?

If you live where it never snows or rains heavily, you can drive nearly the entire tread life. Everywhere else, it could be false economy. I don't sell tires, so I have nothing to gain from this.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I will be getting new rugged trail bf goodrich tires. Is it a good idea to use tire dressing of any type on them?

Reply to
thorm mund

Keeps 'em pretty...

Be aware, the Rugged Trails are not great tires. I have the RT's as OEM on my '05 TRD Offroad Tacoma, and they aren't in the same league as the more expensive BFG KO's in snow and rain, or off-road. The RT's are quieter on dry pavement, though.

Suggest checking out the reviews on Tirerack.com. Don't focus on single reviews, look for trends.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)