tire question

I have a 98 Regular cab, stock ride. I have run BFG "Mudders" forever (and before that on previous trucks). I am ready for my next set and I was planning to go with another round of BFG's. However, the tire gnome at Discount told me Goodyears (MTR) were a superior tire.

I replied yes, but they also cost an arm, leg and other various body parts that I don't want to lose. However, he told me a set of Goodyear's would go for $839 - a $75 rebate which expires on August 5th. The BFG's go for $813 with no rebate (at present).

So all things considered, the money is about even. So the next question is to wear. The BFG's last me about 25,000 (maybe 30,000 if I stretch it or stay on pavement a lot) miles. Ratio of driving: 55% pavement, 45% off road. Type of offroad: gravel, rocks (lots), although the rocks are maybe fist-sized, there are lots of them and a lot of slipping and sliding around on them. The biggest cause of tire wear for my truck is chunking of the tread.

I have a lockrite in the rear, and the rear tires both exhibit extreme tread chunking. Constant rotation helps but it seems inevitable no matter what.

So I was all set to go with BFGs then I read the posts here

(hard to read)

I can't afford to make another mistake like I did with Big O's so-called Mudders, which I called the snow cone tires because the tread just melted away in about 8,000 miles.....

For the record, Discount said BFG's suck and are old-world (much like me), while Goodyears are the tire of choice. Then Desert Rat Offroad said just the opposite: that BFGs are superior to Goodyears and he sees vehicles coming in all the time with Goodyears with only 10,000 miles on them and the tread is shot!

It's like the mental debate I had recently over whether to get Alpine or Panasonic. I wet my BVDs over that one for days; Panasonic or Alpine, Alpine or Panasonic.....so in the end I made the only logical choice and got Pioneer.

So with the tires, is it Goodyear or Goodrich, Goodrich or Goodyear, or, as I now see, Firestone also has a MT tire as well (around $880 but they told me they will "price match")?

I do want to buy them from a place like Discount that has road hazard because with my luck, I will need it.

Reply to
Karl Rove

before that on previous trucks). I am ready for my next

gnome at Discount told me Goodyears (MTR) were a

that I don't want to lose. However, he told me a set of

BFG's go for $813 with no rebate (at present).

wear. The BFG's last me about 25,000 (maybe 30,000

pavement, 45% off road. Type of offroad: gravel, rocks

lot of slipping and sliding around on them. The

chunking. Constant rotation helps but it seems

Mudders, which I called the snow cone tires because the

while Goodyears are the tire of choice. Then Desert Rat

sees vehicles coming in all the time with Goodyears

Panasonic. I wet my BVDs over that one for days;

logical choice and got Pioneer.

now see, Firestone also has a MT tire as well

with my luck, I will need it.

Around here, the Toyo Open Country M/T is the most widely used mudder.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton