Tire wench won't work - alternatives?

I have a 2000 landcruiser with a flat tire in the rear. I have tried to lower the spare with the wench by turning it counterclockwise for over 10 mins and the tire didn't budge. Does anyone know of an alternative way to get it loose? I sprayed with WD40 but still no luck.

Thanks!

Reply to
Christopher McCurdy

Flog her more!

Reply to
B a r r y

On 13 Feb 2006 07:57:31 -0800, "Christopher McCurdy" found these unused words floating about:

Try Oil of Olay, if that fails ... divorce her!

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

bwahahahahaha!

Reply to
Cappy

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:32:15 -0700, "bearman" found these unused words floating about:

Most women are inherently counterclock wise!

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Are you sure the jack handle is engaged in the winch? Do you have to push in while turning it? davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Reply to
Wolfgang

Well gosh, you may know what WD stands for, but I think the company knows more about the uses of WD40. From their web site:

'With literally thousands of uses, WD-40 is the #1 multi-purpose problem solver. It cleans, protects, penetrates, lubricates and displaces moisture like no other product on earth. "

Reply to
Dean

Call your Toyota dealer and ask them.

Reply to
Skipfromla

WD-40 is made of mostly Kerosene and Stoddard Solvent, with a few other aromatic hydrocarbons thrown in. The Kerosene does act as a lubricant for a short period of time, but it's not a really good lubricant and it evaporates away rather quickly.

Real lubricants tend to stay around a while and keep lubricating for several weeks or months, but WD-40 does not.

But WD-40's one big saving grace is it's the bee's knees for drying out a wet ignition system in a hurry. For that one reason, it's a good thing to have a can in the car all the time - but carry a can of spray lithium grease too, for things that need long term lubrication.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

PB Blaster is a far, far more effective penetrator.

But hey, if the advertising says so, it must be true!

Maybe the OP needs "Liquid Wench"? If the wench won't put out, perhaps a better penetrator is needed!

Reply to
B a r r y

PB Blaster is a far, far more effective penetrator.

But hey, if the advertising says so, it must be true!

Maybe the OP needs "Liquid Wench"? If the wench won't put out, perhaps a better penetrator is needed!

Reply to
B a r r y

Get under there and take a good look. Be sure the *wrench* is actually engaging the part that lowers the tire.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, Christopher McCurdy at snipped-for-privacy@olemiss.edu wrote on 2/13/06 7:57 AM:

On my '95, the guides do a good job of getting the rod to the receptacle and it's pretty easy to tell that I'm turning the thingie that lowers the tire. Are you sure you are engaging the thingie? :-)

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, Christopher McCurdy at snipped-for-privacy@olemiss.edu wrote on 2/13/06 7:57 AM:

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, Christopher McCurdy at snipped-for-privacy@olemiss.edu wrote on 2/13/06 7:57 AM:

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Nothing like CRC 5.56 though.

Reply to
Scotty

I can't get my wench to do anything with the tires either. It's hard to get a good wench these days ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:42:33 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" found these unused words floating about:

Good wenches are still around - just don't expect them to be scullery maids or mechanics!

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

One method I used once on a Toyota coaster was to remove the complete tyre carrier assembly as it was worn internally. Goodluck Joe

Reply to
Joe