tonneau

I'm thinking of getting a tonneau cover for my Tundra. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Reply to
WormSign

This is what I have on my Tundra and I absolutely love it. Easy to use and easy on your wallet. No drilling of the bed install and easy to adjust. Quality product.

Reply to
AndyK

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:05:58 -0500, AndyK tossed this out for all to see:

I have the Lite-Rider by the same company. love it!

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

This is what I installed on my '06. Simple design, inexpensive, and looks great. I don't like the Velcro or tongue and groove styles since they tend to break or become frayed. Also, the offset rail snaps are nice since they can be rotated 180 degrees for a better fit in cold climates.

Mike W

This is what I put on my 07 Tacoma.

I like it OK. It was inexpensive. Easy install. However, a friend put a trifecta from the same company on his Chevy and I like it better. Cost was higher.

I think if I had it to do over I would get a hard cover. Soft covers sure do "bounce" around and probably create surface turbulence. Ask a friend how to fix this, he said adjust your rear view mirror a touch so you don't see it.

Jury is still out on the claims to gas savings, however, I don't think they are there. I've kept a spread sheet of that last 15 tanks and what mpg I've gotten and what the percentage of highway to city driving was. Only the last two tanks were with the cover. Noticed no measureable difference. However, using the AC a lot now and didn't for the earlier tanks, so I'll wait and see. I didn't buy the cover for that purpose, but, am curious to see if claims valid.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

There is little, if any, difference in mpg in using a cover,tail net, or no changes at all. I was surprised to see the very little difference using the A/C or not. Rolling down the windows produces a small amount of drag, but not enough to affect mpg. What does affect mpg is driving habits, and to lesser extent, tire pressure.

Reply to
Phisherman

Those myth buster guys did a segment on tailgate down or off, and the results were measureably worse gas mileage. Has to do with the fact that the bed fills with a static air bubble and the passing air slides over the top. With the gate down, additional turbulence.

However all the makers of bed covers claim significant (10%+) improvement in mpg. I don't think it is there and wonder how they can get away with such claims.

No doubt, driving habits most impacting. I drive "lightly" and am seeing excellent MPG with my Tacoma. Others claim not so.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher