Totally stumped -- exhaust manifold shroud

Virginia vehicle safety inspectors are giving me grief about about a missing part -- the exhaust manifold shroud.

The shroud, also known as the insulator, is a thin piece of aluminum that bolts on over the manifold itself. There is a hose from the air intake that fastens to it so that the engine can warm up quicker by sucking warm air off the manifold instead of cold air from outside the truck.

I have ordered two shrouds from my local Toyota dealership (one federal, one California emissions), and neither of them came close to fitting my 1981 22r, carbureted, four speed.

The bolt holes are in the wrong place, and the shroud itself is simply not big enough. The manifold doesn't look like the headers I've seen on the internet. None of my records from previous owners suggest that an aftermarket exhaust has been added to the vehicle.

The nice even layer of rust across the manifold and bolts suggest that the vehicle has been this way for a long time... and passed the Virginia safety inspection in this configuration, as well, I presume.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Eric

1981 pickup, 22r, carbureted, 4 speed, with a motorhome conversion
Reply to
Strollingbones

they're giving you grief about the missing heat riser tube, not really the shroud itself, but the heat riser tube is integral to the shroud. I flunked emissions because I was missing the flex hose that went from the shroud to the air intake, forgot what term they called it. It's aka hot air intake. There's a thermal control valve in the air filter section that controls a flap to suck in hot air or to not suck it in. You want hot air sucked in when the engine is cold.

Reply to
Kleanbore