Towing a 1994 4X4 5spd 4Runner?

Hello,

I know that towing an automatic is a "No-No", but I was wondering if towing my manual transmission 4Runner would work without disconnecting the front driveshaft? I have heard that you must do that, but it doesn't make sense to me as the front end spins regardless if the vehicle is running on its own or being towed.

Can the towing cause damage to the transfer case or any other components? I bought this vehicle to replace my 1973 Thing that I used to tow all over creation and would hate to think that I must disconnect a driveshaft everytime for towing.

Please let me know,

Thanks

Rod rodb_at_anywidget.com

Reply to
anywidget

I can't se why it would hurt it since the transfer case is not engaged and spinning. I conveterd my '90 ADD system (auto disconnect hubs) to manual (use AISIN or Warner) so the axel shafts would not rotate when in 2WD. It gave a little better gas mileage and causes less wear on the axel joints. Wow - you're now towing a vehicle almost 2x what a VW thing weighs!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Try posting on rec.outdoors.rv-travel ; there's probably someone who has the same setup. You could also contact Remco (

).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In the FWIW department, I tow a 2K 4R Ltd 4x4 automatic behind my MH. I installed a Remco rear driveshaft/disconnect and put the auto trans in neutral while towing. I checked my front drive by puting the trans in neutral and the transfer case in 2H and crawled under and turned the front driveshaft by hand. Since it turned, I gambled on it being ok and installed the rear DS disconnect. It has been towed ~20K miles so far. I was concerned because my transfer case uses trans fluid for lube.

This may not help you much since mine is automatic, but it may give you an idea about what you can do.

Ron

Reply to
Ron(Tx)

Reply to