toyota (12v) accessory power

Is there anyway to make the 12v accessory power stay on when the key is not turned.. My '96 chevy cavalier had this feature, all chevy's do I believe. It was just nice to have cell phones charged or would be killer to run something from the bed of my truck. with out leaving the keys inside.

Reply to
Qwerty24

What year and model Toyota truck do you have?

Reply to
bbtaco

2002 Tacoma double cab, TRD with 6 cylinder engine. Color: Black sand pearl.
Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll listen too. My 04 sr5 auto 4x4 has 3 power ports. I wish it was full time like the Ford. A notebook and phone charger isnt going to kill the battery that fast.

Reply to
Alex

I put a 12 volt outlet in the bed of my Tundra. I drilled a small hole in a waterproof ammo box (secured to the side of the bed with bungee cords), put the outlet in and ran the wire from the box under the rocker panel covers. I found a small space in the front of the left front door frame and ran the wire through that (it doesn't pinch the wire when the door is closed) and into a hot space in the fuse box. I used an inline fuse and sealed the hole in the box with silicone.

I've used this for about 5 years and had the bed half filled with snow and mud but it always worked when I opened the box and plugged in what ever I was using.

As long as you are using low amp stuff, like a cell phone charger, you shouldn't have a problem.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I have a 2002 extended cab TRD with the V6 in Lunar Mist. I know this works on the 2002 Tacomas. :) It should also work on any of the 2004 and earlier Tacomas as they are basically the same truck. I do not know about the 2005 or newer models.

A great site for Tacoma owners is
BBTaco

Reply to
bbtaco