toyota oil filter

Anybody ever have a problem with the gasket on a Toyota oil filter? Today, mine must started leaking and I am very lucky my engine with 900 miles on it is still intact. I drove 3 miles and noticed low oil pressure and it was 4 quarts low when I got home. I checked the spot I was parked and there was no oil, but there was a 3 mile trail. The filter didn't seem loose, but the gasket was out of place. Thankfully, I never heard a knock before I checked it or after. The stock pressure meter on the 87 4 runner usually reads at the 3/4 mark and it was at 1/4 when I noticed. Isn't an idiot light also supposed to light? Either way, I guess I need to get a set of mechanical gauges.

Reply to
chuck

Usually when there is a guage there isn't an idiot light. I'm not sure why you need mechanical guages when you already have a guage. However, good object lesson here, when any guage is out of normal range by more than a slight amount do NOT drive until you check to find out why. This could have been an expensive repair if you had run the engine with no oil pressure. As low as it was a sharp turn or hard stop could have caused the oil pickup to starve for oil and caused bearing damage or worse. Sorry to sound like a nag but the message is important. Hope this helps, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Very unusual, but anything can go wrong. Is it possible that the person who installed the filter did not lube the gasket and it was pulled out of place by friction when it was tightened?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

1500 miles later and the same thing happened. This filter was lubed and tight (as tight as can be by hand). After inspecting the filter, I noticed that the paint was rubbed off the filter where it bottomed out past the gasket and was metal on metal against the engine. I have two more spare filters (going in trash) and the gasket on both of these barley protudes (1/8 inch) past the filter. I can't see any benefits of a check valve in a filter when gasket won't seal on the filter. I guess I'll go to a cheap filter and be done with this issue.
Reply to
chuck

I recall having been told in the past that oil pressure is measured in the engine, not in the sump. I think that means that toy oil pumps can feed 3/4 to 1 qt of oil around the engine until it gets too hot. Either way I've only ever had 1 problem with a toy part (3 toys totalling720,000 miles. Hard ones.) I had a filter leak similar to yours, but the gasket was not awry when I removed it. I stuck my head down there with a flashlight (easy to do on '76 Celicas) and I found the gasket from the previous filter. That had to be scraped off, taking due caution to prevent scratches. Put a new filter on and it was fine.

Side note: If that is the problem, pls don't get all exuberant and drive around the block before remembering to add the lost oil. If you've got family like mine you will never hear the end of it.

It is useful to keep in mind that oil serves 5 functions, but I only remember 3-- cleaning, cooling, lubrication

hope I've helped

Reply to
?reality

In some cars I've seen, it also serves as fuel. Is that one of them?

GC

Reply to
Chips

On 2004-12-09, ?reality