Toyota plugs tires!

I had a flat tire and took it to my Toyota dealer to have it fixed. I was surprised when he said they no longer patch them but plug them. I didn't think plugging was used anymore, especially on a front tire. Don't think I will go back there anymore.

john

I just had mine plugged yesterday (rear tire though). So, at least in Souther California, they still plug.

Reply to
Guicho

?????

I worked my way through college 25 years ago in a gas station, plugged many, many tires. Had a flat fixed about 3 months ago, and asked the tech if he'd let me do it just for fun. Don't melt 'em like we used to, just cut it off, but still the preferred method for radials. No dismounting, and never known one to fail. Never had anyone come back.

Maybe I'm just too old to know the newest technology, but why would you stop going to a service facility for this????

Please enlighten this 45 year old dinosaur.

Mark

Reply to
pheasant

Most likely they used a patch/plug. I ran a tire store in the early '90s and went to tire school several times. The only method approved by many tire makers for radial tire repair is a patch/plug. The patch/plug unit both fills the hole thru the carcass and seals the inner liner. Filling the hole keeps water from getting in and rusting the steel belts; sealing the inner liner with a patch is obvious.

See the link below for a photo.

Hopes this helps Paulie

Reply to
Paulie(not working!!!!)

The last flat I had I took to Big Brand Tires in California. They not only patched it they do it for free even if you hadn't bought tires there.

The switch to plugging flats most likely came about because of the time it takes to break down a tire and patch it as opposed to plugging it while it's still on the car.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

About everyone I have talked to seem to think plugging is not as good as patching. So just going by what I have heard on this. I used to plug them myself years ago and thought it was no longer done. I figured anyone plugging them was not doing it the best way and was thinking of changing dealers to one who does it the right way.

john

Why did you take it to the dealer for a flat repair? With so many tire dealers that are set up to R/R tires and also specialize in flat repair; a dealer is the last place we would use. I don't recall seeing a tire machine at my local dealer.

Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

"Toyota" did not plug your tire. Your dealership plugged it.

I agree with Paulie...a patch inside is always best, and a mushroom shaped plug with an integral patch is really best.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

I bought the tires at the dealership and they have a roadhazard guarantee and fix all flats ___free____ for life. They had the best deal on the tires and they have tire machines etc.

john

Which they did, no?

But you're complaining that they didn't do things EXACTLY as you would have? The best "deal" isn't always the cheapest if you're as picky as you are.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

It worked on my brand new Michelin tire when it was plugged in the sidewall even though the tired dealer did not want to do it. This was the second time I had a flat in that tire position and I was tired of replacing it. The plugging worked just fine and it is holding air even though I take the truck in rough rocky road conditions.

CGH

Reply to
C. G. Haley

I've never used the Tech brand mushroom plugs but have used their strand type that get folded in two when installed and they are the best plugs for tire repair I've ever used. Only problem is they distribute through a self-owned vendor like Snap-on or MAC and are sometimes hard to find. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92