Toyota starter fix?

The starter on my wife's 91 Toyota pickup seems to have given up the ghost, but I don't think it is necessarily the starter itself. When it does crank it seems to crank fine. Other times, it won't even click. If it was an old Chevy starter, I'd say the solenoid was gone, but I have no clue of how the gear reduction type starter on a Toyota is set up. Is there a comparable part on the Toyota starter? I would prefer to replace something small and cheap if possible as we plan on selling it. Not much room for a baby in an extracab pickup ;>) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris whitewall junkie Mfinja's Hot Wheels with WhitewallsAll Small Wheels Error Cars

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

I recently had the same problem on my 1996 Tacoma. Some times it would do nothing, then it would start fine. The problem was the starter.

Reply to
Roxy

It is a simple fix if it is the same as my starter problem. There are two starter contacts in the solenoid that cause the problem sometimes. They are less than $15 each. The hardest part for me was getting the starter off the engine. T-100.

doug

Reply to
Doug Stephens

This page should be what you need: