trac control warning sound, 2002 4runner

a few weeks back while driving in 4wd across a long sandy beach, i noticed that the trac control light and warning beep came on anytime i got over 30 mph or so. the beach was wide and flat, with medium soft sand, tide was kind of low. there was no one around and going 40 or 50 was not an unsafe thing to do.

the beep would come on if i was over 30 and i made an adjustment to my line resulting in the car shifting a little. the warning beep would not stop when perfect stability came back, i had to slow down to about 20 for it to stop. when i accelerated, the beep came on again. it was really annoying, there was no danger of slipping sliding rolling or flipping, i had perfect control of the vehicle and did not need to be persistently 'warned'.

i looked thru the owners manual and could not find a way to override or turn off the warnign sound.

is this normal? can it be over ridden in a non wire hacking way? why does the car think i am about to go sliding off the road just cause i'm on kind of soft sand going 40 mph?

thanks,

-jose

Reply to
Jose Borrero

jose, its hte traction control system overheating, its done with actuators and they heat up real fast, apparently it was using "skid" control all the time. There may be an "off" feature for the skid control or maybe shift it to part time 4WD, that usually shuts it off. It had nothing to do with speed, but heat! Oh, if it burns out, replacement cost is $2500

Reply to
MDT Tech®

woah, scary...

does it sound strange to you that i could inadvertantly burn out a really expensive part by doing something as simple as driving across a soft sand beach at 40 mph?

can i shift to 'part time 4wd' in my 4runner? (i'll double check the manual now, but i don't remember seeing that option)

if i can't and trac control can't be turned off, is my only solution to simply drive slower? (it's a really long beach that you have to cross to get to one of my favorite surf spots, i only go 1 -3 x / year though...)

one last question, would the fact that i had lowered my tire pressure (~15 psi) cause the trac control to sort of come on sooner?

thanks again,

-jose

Reply to
Jose Borrero