Trailer lights w/ 2004 Tacoma

Dumb question probably, but since I'm 30 miles from my truck I can't go look...

Does the 2004 4WD Tacoma extra-cab come stock with a hook-up for basic trailer lights, or is this an aftermarket part that will need to be installed? If so, is it a difficult procedure?

Reply to
danf

If it's anything like my 2002, no, it doesn't come with a harness. However, I found a ready-made package of wiring at one of the big auto parts chains - Advanced Auto Parts, if I recall. It was made for this truck. All it involved was popping off the tail lights, pulling the ready-made plugs into the holes, and plugging them into the truck's existing sockets. My only complaint with them was that the harness wires were EXACTLY the right length, with absolutely NO slack. That left some sharp bends in the wires, which I didn't like. So, I added a few inches of wire in a couple of spots. It's a bit of a chore because you have to use heat shrink tubing, unless you want the connections to get all corroded. But, worth the extra effort.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Unless something changed in 2004. No. You can get an aftermarket kit that splice into the factory wireing harness for not a lot of cost. I like the Toyota factory trailer light harness. It cost a lot more and it harder to put in, but the quality of the kit is top notch and it provides an extra controller and fuses just to power the trailer lights.

Reply to
Eddie

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:43:15 -0700, Eddie found these unused words floating about:

The power line and fuse for that should be run up to the fuse block area. There are other AM's that also isolate the Tacoma Wiring from the trailer. IMHO that's the best way to go.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.