Trouble Code P0171

Hi

My "Check Engine" light and my "VSC" and "VSC Off" lights came on.

The code reader gave me the following code and message "P0171 / system too lean bank 1". This is the only code to show up.

What is wrong and how do I correct it?

Thanks

Frank

Reply to
Dogface

Don't know what kind of vehicle it is, but we see that code from time to time on 4runners and tacomas, and the usual culprit is the mass airflow sensor. Sometimes it's just a matter of removing debris from the sensing wire, sometimes it requires replacement.

Reply to
qslim

What model & year

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Sorry guys. I forgot to mention it is a 2001 4-Runner with the V-6.

Reply to
Dogface

It'll be just downstream of the airfilter, facing the passenger fender held in by two small phillips head screws. I think that it my be obstructed by the ABS valve body, this I can't remember for sure.

Reply to
qslim

Trouble Area  Air induction system  Injector blockage  Mass air flow meter  Engine coolant temp. sensor  Fuel pressure  Gas leakage on exhaust system  Open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit  A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) ECM

1 Check air induction system NG Repair or replace. OK 2 Check injector injection NG Replace injector. OK 3 Check mass air flow meter and engine coolant temperature sensor NG Repair or replace. OK 4 Check for spark and ignition NG Repair or replace. OK 5 Check fuel pressure NG Check and repair fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel pipe line and filter OK 6 Check gas leakage on exhaust system. NG Repair or replace. OK 7 Check output voltage A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1). OK Go to step 9. NG 8 Check for open and short in harness and connector between ECM and A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) NG Repair or replace harness or connector. OK Replace A/F sensor. 9 Perform confirmation driving pattern Go 10 Is there DTC P0171 or P0172 being output again? YES Check and replace ECM NO 11 Did vehicle runs out of fuel in past? NO Check for intermittent problems YES DTC P0171 or P0172 is caused by running out of fuel.
Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

Thanks Guys!!

Reply to