tundra regular cab vs acess cab

at the risk of sparking a religious debate...

I am looking for owners' experience re tundra regular cab vs access cab:

I am leaning toward a regular cab (v8 4x4) largely because of the 8ft bed; somehow I have this image of being able to load a 4' by 8' sheet and closing the tailgate as being the definition of a truck!

this would be a third vehicle (highlander and passat), so people-carrying capacity is essentially taken care of--unless of course I want to go on a family outing to pick up some 4 by 8s :-)

any thoughts appreciated

Reply to
Paul Gilna

Access cab provides more lockable storage space... like a weatherproof tool box.

Regular cab can be difficult to get optioned if you want something more than a spartan truck. It used to be extremely difficult to get

4x4.

'Matter of fact, I just hopped into Toyota.com and plugged in my zip code... regular cab and V6 are not even available in SoCal.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

I have an extended cab. An '02 Tundra. Like you, I was concerned about the bed length. But as it came to pass, my wife and our lifestyle said that the extended cab may not be too bad.

We were right. In the extended cab I have thrown tools, hauled kids, car parts and other periphernalia. I'm glad I got it.

The bed is 6.5 feet long with the tailgate up. 8 feet with it down. I didn't see a problem there. and the bed size is suiting my needs just fine.

You could haul drywall, plywood, OSB, or motorcycles with no problem in the back.

Get the extended cab and your friends and you will be happier for the extra roominess.

Reply to
FCGrabo

An easy decision. Get the Access Cab! It looks better.

so I guess this means the debate shifts to access vs double cab?

Reply to
Paul Gilna

An easier decision. Get the DC! It looks the best. :)

Ok, to me, a regular cab truck looks like a half of a 'car' (it is but it looks weird). At least the Xtracab looks more... complete. Better resale value too.

The double cab has the 4.7 engine. Many reviewers I've read say that the The Tubdra DC is "adequate in performance", but it needs a heftier V8. Rumors have it that Toyota will come out with a 5.6 or 5.7 liter engine in 2005 or '06. The roominess inside the Tundra double cab is an unquestionable asset. The whole truck is bigger.

This comes on the heels of the introduction of the Nissan Titan, which at first glance seems to have it all over the first-year Tundra. A full sized truck with a monster v8. But... never buy a vehicle in its first model year. Let 'em work out the bugs.

For my money, the Tundra is the best truck on the road. If you MUST have a truck NOW, then get the extended cab, 4.7v8. If you can wait, drive what ya got, and then get the double cab with a beefier engine later.

Either way, YOU WILL NOT REGRET BUYING A TUNDRA!

Reply to
FCGrabo

If you like the Tundra but want more power, how 'bout buy the truck and then get the TRd 'charger? At least that'll close the power gap between the Tundra & Titan.

As for the next Tundra, someone mentioned it will get the 5.5 V8 - perhaps with an electric motor as well (FTX concept)

I seriously doubt that the new V8 Tundra doublecab will be a hybrid anytime in the future. Chevy has announced that they are going go hybrid in '05 with a few select trucks. From what I've heard, they will still be as sturdy, have the same power and still be able to work construction sites and still have the power. They project a whopping

20mpg.

Don't forget that Toyota and Nissan are just dipping into the American market. They will see how their initial offerings are accepted. Toyota got there first in '99. Nissan, this year.

For my money, trucks and gasoline-electric hybrid motors just don't fit in somehow.

Reply to
FCGrabo

I know I haven't! My 02 Tundra has been flawless thus far (15.5K miles). I don't expect any less than perfection from a Toyota, and the Tundra certainly doesn't disappoint.

Amen, that's the one I chose. I also have 4WD.

I don't buy into the "whoever has the most horsepower wins" battle. I don't feel the need to drag my truck at the track, so the 4.7 i-Force is more than enough for me. Plus the Titan is ugly (which seems to be a trend in Nissan design these days), and it's quality likely won't match up to the Tundra's.

Go Toyota!!!

Ditto!

Reply to
TundraOwner2002