Tundra steering rack bushings

My 2001 Tundra was wandering down the road, drifting left and right. The steering rack bushing were allowing the rack to move way more than I though right.

Energy Suspension has a urethane bushing kit, number 8.10101 or something similar, listed for 1999 & 2000 Tundras that fits all years to the best of my knowledge, about $18. I think this kit is relabeled by Total Chaos and sold by Wheeler's Off Road and others, about $28.

Anyway, after installing the kit and getting the alignment set...+2° or more caster is VERY important, the truck handles great. Changing the bushings seems to change only the toe-in, but it never hurts to check things with a 4-wheel thrust alignment. Toyota's caster spec is way too wide...from +0.6° to +2.1°; the truck can be "within spec" and handle like a pig.

Toyota sells a replacement bushing for the far right bushing, but for the bushings in the rack itself they will only sell a complete new rack!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton