Tundra VIP doesn't chirp

I just bought a 2000 Tundra that has the VIP system. It didn't come with the remotes so I went to Toyota and bought two of the two button remotes. After they programmed them it seems to work. The horn sounds if the door is opened and the alarm is set. The piezo? sounds if the door is open and the alarm is set. But the chirp doesn't sound at arm/lock and disarm/unlock. Is this typical? How can I check this or reprogram?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy Lutz

You may find that its a program issue. Most alarms these days have silent lock/unlock funtions, check with toyota or a decent car audio shop.

Reply to
Scotty

Do you parking light flash when arming and disarming?

Reply to
Wolfgang

The rs3000 system has the Piezo Operation Mode as a programable option. Default is on.

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault

On my 97 Tacome you have an option to turn that sound off by doing some strange combination of things with the ignition key and remote buttons. I turned mine off seven years ago and haven't thought about it since.

The instructions on how to change the programming should be in your owner's manual.

Reply to
Sean Elkins

Yes the parking lights do as expected. Everything seems to work except the chirp. That is quite annoying, if I can't see the lights, I can't tell if I locked or unlocked. I know someone will say, "if you get out and press the button it is locked" but if it happens to get pressed more than once or if I was not sure I pressed it hard enough, or if it gets pressed in my pocket... I plan to take it back to Toyota and ask them but I would like to know if there is anything I can do.

Reply to
Andy Lutz

The truck didn't come with an owners manual. I bought one at the dealer and it said NOTHING about the security system. that was rather irritating.

Reply to
Andy Lutz

For this problem, I found the answer at Tundrasolutions.com. The tech who programmed my remotes turned the chirp off, for arm/disarm. To set this feature back to factory default:

  1. Turn key on.
  2. Press and hold both buttons for 2+ seconds until the status light on the dash goes on.
  3. Press the bottom button twice.
  4. Turn key to lock.

To turn it off, at #3 press bottom button only once.

This is for the RS3000 on a 2000 Tundra. Other model and years of RS3000 are (I believe), the same.

Reply to
Andy Lutz