Tundra vs Titan ?

As long as we are comparing Toyotas with Nissans (I saw a trhead: Tacoma vs. Frontier), could we compare the Tundra and Titan as well? I am a current Tundra owner, and a happy one at that, but still want to know if something better exists.

Reply to
J.Smith

The US-built Nissans have some QC issues. Things like loose interior fitments and paint imperfections. Example:

On paper the Titan looks great, but they still have to work the bugs out across their product line.

Reply to
Dave Stone

"J.Smith" sez:

I was waiting for the Tundra D-cab and the Titan to come out to make a buy decision. Before either of them showed up on the local lots, I took an Armada out for a test drive. Nice engine with lots of torque and power but I hated the stupid dash. The damn thing looks like an aircraft carrier deck stuck out in front of you and it catches sunlight an throws it up into the windshield for mondo glare in the day.

Plus, while going down the highway at 75 mph, the sun visors and whole headliner where bouncing up and down making a whubba-whubba-whubba-whubba-whubba noise even with all the windows up tight. I was unimpressed.

Then, when I read that the Titan 4-door didn't even have a 6 ft. bed on it, that cinched the deal for the Tundra (I camp/sleep in the back on dirtbike trips). Toss in the known quantity and reliability of the Toyota engine/tranny combo compared to a brand new design in the Titan not tested by time yet, I made the right move ...

Reply to
xxx

They all have problems. My 01 4X4 Tacoma had its share as well. Almost called Toyota on the lemon law when I first bought it. They took care of it, but they all have there share.

Reply to
kkweaver

This can be true of all vehicles, yes, but you basically ignored what the story was getting at. So far the then-new 2004 models from Nissan - Quest, Titan and Armada fared worse than average in recent quality rankings.

From the article:

All five models produced at the Canton facility: the Nissan Titan pickup, Armada SUV, Quest minivan, Altima sedan and Infiniti QX56 SUV, have been criticized for poor quality, and Nissan North America Inc. scored an uncharacteristically low score of 154 in the most recent J.D. Power & Associates' Initial Quality Survey rankings of '04 models, an 8% falloff from '03-model scores.

"Nissan's Titan, Pathfinder Armada and the new Quest minivan all experienced worse than industry average problems," a J.D. Power official said at the release of the IQS findings. (See related story: Power: Industry Quality Rises, Michigan Plants Shine)

Reply to
Dave Stone

Are Japanese built Toy trucks still being imported? I was getting ready to go and take a serious look at the new Tacoma, but I've got this nagging worry cause it's being built in the US. A second strike strike against it is that it's being built in the joint toyota/general motors factory.....

Reply to
Ron Miller

I've been told there made, In Compton, Calif.

Reply to
kkweaver

Tacomas have been built in Fremont, California, for many years. Do a Google search for NUMMI. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Among other things, the Titan is a true full-sized half-ton pickup. My Tundra is about a 7/8ths full size. I'll prefer Toyota quality until I see Nissan surpass it. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Why don't you post a message on the Nissan message board?... the Titan message board?

Gasp! Is there such a thing? That's where all your answers would be.

IMHO.. the Titans are too much front end robot look, and the cab profile is, for me, too square.

I think that in a couple of years, the Titan will learn from its mistakes and finally become a player in the full-sized truck market.

fcg

Reply to
FCGrabo

I to was planning on waiting for the Titan before I decided to go with the Tundra. My biggest beef with Nissan was a recent snafu on their part in regards to a Frontier I have. They basically told me to go and $%# myself with a paint issue that all their reps said was a coverable fault. Took Nissan Motor Co. a full year to deny my claim, all the while telling me it was covered. After several certified letters that were just given lipservice, I sued, and won. I won the suit, they lost a customer forever.

Having said all this, I've never owned a Toyota and was skeptical about their true quality, as I'd heard several reports indicating a general decline in their overall quality, especially with the US built units. So, I did test drive, extensively, used and new full size trucks (gas engines only, 4X4 and at least 4-door access cabs) and deliberately left the Titan and the Tundra for last. I drove the Tundra first, as it was on the first along the highway before the Nissan dealer and I was not expecting to be so impressed. I was not expecting a Lexus-smooth V8/tranny and just a stunning overall package. I tore myself from the Toyota dealer making sure they knew I was going to Nissan to test drive the Titan before I decided on anything and they were throwing all sorts of offers/incentives to me that my head spun. I left anyhow, and I'm glad I did.

Titan was impressive in size, quite larger appearing than the Tundra, but that was a negative for me. Already the Tundra was bigger than I really wanted, but there was no way a Tacoma, even the crew cab version, was ever going to accomodate the once-in-a-great-while needed six passenger capacity that the Tundra had (wouldn't want to cramp some big fellows in the back for very long though). The horsepower/torque figures are impressive as well, along with the estimated EPA mileage figures which make more power while actually besting the Toyota's highest MPG by 1mpg. The price was right too. I really thought I was set to buy another Nissan, bad previous experience notwithstanding. This all changed during the test drive. Rattles, "whump-whump" sound while rolling, I was starting to get a vivid reminder of all the niggling little defects I'd learned to put up with on the Frontier. I drove 2 other Titans that day, and they were all consistently poor quality...compared to the Toyota only, mind you.

Sad but true, even though the US domestics seem to be really making great strides in quality/durability/reliability, none, not even the $35,000+ models from Ford, seemed to be even in the same class of quality as the Nissan/Toyota's. Don't hate me domestic owners for saying this. You know it's the truth. It's your money, mine is mine too.

Anyhow, the Tundra now has 20,000+ and I've been the most satisfied that I've ever been with a pickup, ever. I'll let you know when I reach 200,000. I have no doubts it'll make it there and beyond.

Good luck

Reply to
J.Slater

I don't think that will ever happen. Nissan quality has always been a little slip-shod compared to Toyota's, IMO.

Just wait until the next-gen Tundra, I heard it's going to be a "true" full-sized truck. Until then, I'm quite happy with my "seven-eighths" full-sized 2002 Tundra.

Reply to
TundraOwner2002