Turning off the "maint req" light

I was a bit dismayed when, at 5000 miles, a "maintenace required" light came on on the dashboard of my new Tacoma. My old BMW had a similar service warning light, and so one had to either pay the dealer $200 for an oil change, or buy a $60 tool to reset the light. (I bought the tool, and I would guess that I used it for a total of about 20 seconds during the life of the vehicle.) Both options sucked. I had intended to change my own oil on the Taco. Does anyone know if I can reset this light without buying an expensive tool?

Reply to
Mike Masters

Try reading your owners manual. Before you screw something else up like you did with your tailgate.

Reply to
JC Der Koenig

This tool will do the trick. Just be really careful and wear eye protection:

Unlike the special BMW tool, this has other uses.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I'll tell you how to reset it but first you have to send pics of the bike that broke the tailgate sheeeshh how big was it!

Kev> >I was a bit dismayed when, at 5000 miles, a "maintenace required" light

Reply to
kgt

Turning it off is a simple matter of holding in the trip reset button as you turn on the ignition switch. Its all in your owners handbook, no special tool required. Hold in trip button and turn switch to on, hold for about 10 seconds. Viola. Light off for the next 5000

Reply to
zonie

Also in the owners manual is the amount of oil you will need to add!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yes, it should be in your manual. I can't remember the sequence, but it's something like turning off the engine, holding down the trip meter button on the odometer and turning the key back on. Might want to check the manual for the "secret" sequence.

Reply to
Steven Gerson

I looked all through my owners manual for some information on the load limit of the tailgate, and I could find nothing. No, I did not read the thing from cover to cover because I have a life, and I could not get through the first 25 pages of legal warnings and cautions before I fell asleep. Toyota could not supply me with information on the tailgate load limit, and so you might want to sas them as well for not reading their own manuals. Someone has since told me that there IS information in the manual regarding the tailgate loading, but I still can not find it. Certainly it is not in the section that talks about loading limits. So don't get all sassy on me because Toyota has a poor indexing system in their manuals.

To every>

Reply to
Mike Masters

P.S.

I am told that the owners manual rates the tailgate load>

Reply to
Mike Masters

So you still haven't read the owners manual?

Reply to
JC Der Koenig

I could swear I saw it stamped right on the tailgate or the plastic liner or something....but that could be my vivid imagination at work again.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Quit being an AH. You spent a lot of money on a truck and you can't take, what, maybe an hour out of this "life" you have to read the manual. You sure are easily bored if 25 pages (is that an exaggeration?) of legal warnings puts you to sleep. My manual has a pretty good index.

Reply to
bearman

Sorry, I went to sleep after the first 25 words of your excuses. Since I have a life also that includes reading why would I want to do it for you? Show you want to help yourself and many in this ng will be more than willing to help you. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

No problem, Turn the motor off. turn the key to acc. set the oddometer button to oddometer, (not trip meter). Hold in the oddometer button in while turning the key off and on

3 times Frank
Reply to
franknlizob