Uhaul for transmission cooler instal?

Any thoughts on getting a transmission cooler installed by Uhaul? I was surprised that Toyota doesn't make this item. In looking around, I noticed that Uhaul does this work at most locations.

From what I think I know, a transmission cooler seems like a very simple piece of equipment. So my question to the experts of this NG, does it matter where you have this done?

Thanks,

Chuck

Reply to
CS

I'd do it myself before having the monkey of the day at Uhaul do it, but that's me. Sometimes the person is competent, sometimes not, you're taking a chance unless you know the place and people.

Toyota does have an OEM tranny cooler, but it doesn't come stock.

As long as the wrench is competent, no. It is a $40 item, 1 hour max to install. Probably a good time to do a hydraulic fluid flush, filter change, clean the valve body, and install a new pan gasket. There's the real skill: properly torquing and installing the tranny pan. I usually cheat a little with UltraBlue, being careful that none squeezes out inside the tranny.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

ps - maybe a site worth your reading, if you're really doing a lot of towing:

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

I let the U-haul place install the hitch and do the wiring on my Camry but I took the car to a trans place to install the cooler.

Reply to
JC

Only if you must. A $3000 transmission needs the care of a transmission shop you know and trust.

Reply to
Alesandra

Why not buy the part and have your regular mechanic do the work? I'm assuming, of course, that you have a mechanic you've trusted for years......

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That's good advice. Thank you.

Reply to
CS

It just seems logical. And, if he's a good mechanic & doesn't feel comfortable doing the work, he'll probably know someone HE would trust.

Reply to
Doug Kanter