V6 DC Tacoma Gas Mileage - Trip Data

I have a 2003 Tacoma Doulecab Prerunner V6 TRD (larger tires) and have been following the mileage thread. I just got back from a trip to Florida and have some interesting data.

I set my trip odo at the Georgia border today and when I saw the mile marker for 99 miles, my trip ODO read 93.6 miles. I logged again in South Carolina

79 miles by markers and 74.9 miles by ODO. Then one last time on I77 85 miles by markers and 81 miles by ODO. If you do the math:

99/93.6 = 1.057

79/74.9 = 1.054 85/81 = 1.049

The average ratio of Actual/ODO = 1.054

I tried to check the speedo, but without instantaneous measurements it is hard to do. Over about a 10 minute average, when the needle was on 65, I calculated a speed of 66.7. However, I'm not very confident in that number.

I also logged two fill ups for gas mileage:

344.8 miles 15.147 gallons = 22.764 mpg 282.8 miles 12.222 gallons = 23.128 mpg

However, if you adjust the mpg for the 5.4% difference in actual and ODO miles, then

363.398 miles 15.147 gallons = 24.387 mpg 298.054 miles 12.222 gallons = 23.991 mpg

My old 97 V6 2WD 4Runner got consistently 24mpg on the highway so this is not that far off. As a side note, I did also keep the speed down at 65 mph and below. I have found that driving above 65 tends to burn the gas faster. Also, keeping the truck out of passing gear helps too. If the cruise is set and you come to a grade, my Taco jumps into passing gear and that tends to drink gas.

I hope this helps the discussion on Taco mileage. I'm going to run come calculations to see if the 5.4% difference makes sense for the larger tire size.

Enjoy,

Brian

Reply to
J. Brian Anderson

Yes, I have the same truck, same problem, same 5 percent off...

Speedometer should be off by the same percentage.

That's generally better than I'm getting, but I would wonder how fast you typically drive. When I'm going to Florida, I'd rather it be a 10 hour trip than a 12 hour trip. Gas mileage seems to start dropping at much over 70 MPH. Adjusted for the 5 percent, I typically get 19 MPG or a little better around town (some highway driving).

I have noticed that the gas mileage gets substantially worse if the big tires are underinflated and during the winter.

Ahhh.... I didn't read far enough ahead. I've noticed that I get pretty good mileage in quasi-city driving (i.e. 40-50 MPH, not too many stops) too.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

in my 2003 V5 extra cab SR5 Extra cab 4WD TRD off road package my Florida trip I averaged 17.8 mpg within a few 1/10ths each time I gassed up using 87 octane, traveling 80-94mph most of the time, some with A/C on, but mostly with windows down. The 4WD's really gulp the gas.

I used about 1/10th of an inch of Mobile 5W30 synthetic oil in a 1000 miles too, nothing to worry about.

The oil has 4000 miles on it since it was last changed. On my 85 carbed 2WD, the oil turns black after 3,000 miles, my Tacoma oil is dark orange.

Reply to
TacomaDude