V8 Tunndra oil filter mess - any tips?

What a mess! Thought placing a rag (old tee shirt) under the filter area would catch any residual. NOT! It simply ran off onto the skid plate and onto the garage floor.

Do you folks remove the plate for a filter change?

If yes, any snafu's to removing the plate or reinstalling it?

If no, any tips for a tidy'er filter change will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

My Tundra doesn't have a skid plate but the filter is still hard to get to and makes a mess. I bought a cheap, flexible plastic cutting board which I put under the filter and the oil is directed over the crossmember and into the pan. I had to trim a corner off to get it at the angle I need. I thought about using a couple pieces of PVC pipe and a 45 deg angle and cutting a notch at the end of the pipe where it would fit under the filter. Another tip I got from this ng was to break filter loose but don't loosen it enough for oil to drain, put a plastic bag over filter and then remove. The bag is supposed to catch oil, wasn't a total success for me but was better than nothing. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

removing the skid plate is the way to go. Should be three 12mm bolts on the front of it and two on rear.

Reply to
qslim

Instead of using a plastic bag, consider using a flexible plastic container, such as those used for selling cottage cheese, which is slightly larger than the oil filter. If the oil filter is mounted vertically (as it is on my Toyota Tacoma), the sides of the container are tall enough to extend above where the base of the filter meets the filter base on the engine. The plastic container is flexible enough, so that the sides of it can be pressed against the sides of the partly loosened filter, and the filter can then be turned and allowed to slip into the container, with the escaping oil. This works for me.

Vic Ulmer

Reply to
Victor D. Ulmer

I just might try that bag trick. Thank you. Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

I'll look into this next time. Sure would simplify keeping it a clean operation. Thanks. Nate

Reply to
N Williamson

good tip, thanks. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

I take the skid plate off my Tundra with an air impact wrench and put it back with an air ratchet driver. Zip, zip, it comes off and goes back on in no time. I use a gallon jug that milk comes in with the top cut off. Works great.

Skip

Reply to
Skip