Valves

Hello all,

I own a '89 Yota with a 22RE and I want to adjust my valves on Saturday. My truck has 213k miles on her and I just want to do this to put my mind at ease. I have my Chiltons and was wondering if there was anything else I should worry about. Any input is appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
D GsKi

An excellent writeup is available at:

Roger Brown

It's pretty easy, but you will burn your fingers trying to get to some of them. There are some who advocate doing it cold (I never tried, but I cannot believe the factory does it hot). You can do a search and read about that at.

James Andrus

Yep, very good writeup with good pictures. Something I would suggest you do when you are adjusting valves... get one of those paint markers that you shake up (DecoColor or something...yellow is easy to see). As you adjust each valve, put a mark on the rocker so that you know for sure you adjusted it.

Personally, for some reason my brain finds it easier to adjust the valves by first turning the engine up to TDC firing #1 (so both intake and exhaust are loose), then adjusting them in sequence of the firing order. When you do it that way, you adjust the #1 exhaust and #1 intake at the same time then #3 exhaust and #3 intake, 4, then 2... I realise you could adjust the other two that are loose when #1 is at the firing position, but ... anyway.

Sure it takes a little extra turning of the engine.. saves me having to re-check them all again second-guessing myself.... Make sure you have a set of bent feeler gages also like the one in the picture.. It makes life so much easier.

Reply to
Celica Dude