Wax on a new truck

Is there one brand of carnuba wax that's better on clear coat finishes than other brands?

I have a 15 year-old pickup so this doesn't really apply to me at this time, but I have heard horror stories about using the "wrong" wax on a newer car's finish...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

short answer is yes. the long answer is "what constitutes a carnuba wax", i don't know. lots of "carnuba" waxes out there with lots of different chemicals in the wax.

i would verify the brand of clear coat used (DuPont, PPG, etc), the type of paint used, and then contact the paint manufacturer to get information about the types of wax you can use. they'll respond with something like "just don't use a wax with XYZ in it".

i use only the TurtleWax spritz to keep my 96 and 02 clean and resilient to road grime. alot easier than using a full wax method (wax on, film, buff off), and since it's easier and quicker, i can do it more often.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Good information, thank you...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Forgive me, K, if I take the experts word on this rather than your collection of disjointed information.

I'll feel safer.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Research. I don't use anything that I haven't verified to contain no abrasives. Call the manufacturers. Ask painting experts.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

Good advice, thanks...

Back in the early '80's I remember seeing Volvos and other "foreign" brands with flaky paint jobs. Most of them seemed to be a light brown, maybe a gold color. Most, if not all of them with the "bad paint" turned out to be peeling clear coat. I didn't remember domestic cars having clear coat at that time, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

It always seemed to me that "they" were putting on cheaper paint then sealing it with clear coat to save money. I know that isn't true, but I was always a two-or-three-coats-of-high-quality-paint-and-keep-it-waxed, guy.

I always felt that I had a certain leeway with "real" paint that I didn't have with clear coat; If I let the paint go a little too long, a little rubbing compound followed with a good wax job would restore it to like new appearance. With clear coat, it can start to lift, or get moisture under, or get cloudy, etc. If this happens, you can't use rubbing compound because you'll remove the coat entirely and you're left with the color coat that's very thin and probably won't stand up to everyday use. Then, it's repaint time. That can certainly happen with a car that has a "traditional" paint job, but in many cases, a traditional paint job seems more rugged, as in when you're out four-wheeling and get brush scratches on the doors and fenders. If the scratches go through the clear coat, you may be in trouble, but if you have a tradational finish, you can probably rub it out and re-wax it...

The above is just my opinion and observations and doesn't necessarily reflect reality... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

Yikes! Have a little fun, eh?

David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

I remember those days. Environmental concerns dictated the use of paints that just wouldn't hold up.

Cheaper? Not in your life. The paints used then actually were more expensive than previous stuff. They sucked, but were costly due to the aforementioned enviro-stuff.

Yup. I owned a '74 CJ-5 with a traditional paint job. Sort of a semi-gloss that hid minor scratches nicely. After rough off-road use, a little polishing wax and she was good to go.

Reality perceived is reality believed. ;-)

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

which part of this info is disjointed ?

From PPG:

Kryptoknight

It's pretty much obvious that you're unwilling to listen to experts other than those you pick.

Wax your way. I'll wax mine.

I have a 4-1/2 year-old Tundra that looks like the day it came off the showroom floor. I'll pick my way, thanks.

------------------------------------------------- "Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases. If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." - Ronald Reagan

Reply to
Eric Dreher

the original posted question was "Should you wax a new truck right away (Tundra DC) ??? ", not "how to wax" !!

what experts do you refer to?

Reply to
Kryptoknight