Weight Distribution Question about '86 4Runner Transmission

Gonna drop my tranny to do a clutch job. I have a pretty decent floor jack and have decided that I could manufacture a craddle that would attach to it to hold the tranny.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to the weight distribution. What area of the tranny should be supported? The tranny itself has a pretty small footprint looking at it from the underside. But is it the heaviest part of the bundled unit when it is taken out? Or should I be supporting a little further towards the rear?

Any insight would be helpful. I just wanted to have something that I can reuse if I ever have to revisit this type problem. And yeeeeeeeesssss I do know I can rent a tranny jack in town for $30 a day. No half day charges so it would result in 2-days rental as a minimum (I plan to do a few other things as well). Just thought that having an attachment would make the next time simpler.

Thanks

Reply to
Mark Simpson

I recently replaced the clutch in my 86 4x4 pickup. I used my floor jack up near the front of the tranny with no special cradle. I left the transfer case attached to the crossmember and used cinder blocks to hold it up after I unbolted it. Once everything was disconnected, I rolled the tranny/tcase back and slid the crossmember along the tops of the cinder blocks. Once the input shaft is clear I removed the blocks and the jack and slid the whole unit out. It's heavy, but this worked OK for me. The truck was on the ground (not jacked up or on ramps).

Clear as mud?

Tom

Reply to
Tom & Nikki Mister